S40 has injector inputs grounded at all times.

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Re: S40 has injector inputs grounded at all times.

Post by lumley32 »

why not just unplug the ecu and see if there is a connection from the injector pins to the ecu ground?
ProStockVW
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Firmware Version: 49

Post by ProStockVW »

lumley32 wrote:why not just unplug the ecu and see if there is a connection from the injector pins to the ecu ground?
I tried that, 12 volts at one side of the injector plug, nothing on the other side with the main plug pulled from the ecu, so that tells me the injector wiring is good.
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

i meant check the ecu! if the amps are gone then they may well have shorted to ground!
ProStockVW

Post by ProStockVW »

lumley32 wrote:i meant check the ecu! if the amps are gone then they may well have shorted to ground!
Is there a way I can check the amps? Testing the injectors is hard to do when they are always on.
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

well first off see if there shorted to ground! can you use a multi meter? if so its a 10 second job!

FYI with the ecu disconnected the injector pins should have near infinite resistance to ground.
ProStockVW

Post by ProStockVW »

If I understand correctly, I have the ecu out of the car. If I check the resistance between pins 8 or 9(injectors) to pins 13 or 14(main ecu ground) it should be an open circuit and not show anything on the ohm meter. If I read resistance, then the injectors amps are shorted out.
Simon P.
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by Simon P. »

ProStockVW wrote:If I understand correctly, I have the ecu out of the car. If I check the resistance between pins 8 or 9(injectors) to pins 13 or 14(main ecu ground) it should be an open circuit and not show anything on the ohm meter. If I read resistance, then the injectors amps are shorted out.
That's correct.
Infinite or very high resistance= everything is OK
No resistance or very low resistance= injector drivers are shorted.
Post your values if you're unsure.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

Some (a lot of) ECU's actually rest on Ground when off, just checking that you're certain that these do not - I haven't checked myself.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
ProStockVW

Post by ProStockVW »

much has transpired over the weekend and I think I have figured out what is wrong and why it happened. On saturday, I was talking to a friend of mine that has put together a few Mega-Squirt kits and has some knowledge of how things work and he asked me if I had a battery charger hooked up to the car. I said yes and he said thats my problem. When the car ran out of fuel, i had to run and get more racegas. I left the battery charging while I was out and I might have left the ignition on too (not sure). I thought it was weird that my little digital volt gauge that plugs into a cig lighter wasn't working any more, just blinking zeros, but I just figured I paid 5 bucks for it and it just quit. I also had left a cheapy, harbor freight battery tender hooked up the whole time too, that along with the battery charger (200/40/10 set on 10 amp) might have thrown off too much rogue AC current and it fried the injector drivers. Lesson learned, battery chargers with the ignition on is a no-no.

I emailed Allen Warburton at DTA, he said that its a hardware problem and that it needs to be send back to DTA(UK) for repair at a cost of 75UKP to fix the injector drivers and 80UKP shipping (ouch! thats 250US)

here's what I got for resistance across pins 8 and 9(injectors) to the ECU ground (13 and 14).
meter set on 20k
pin 8 = 0.29
pin 9 = 0.26
Simon P.
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by Simon P. »

ProStockVW wrote: here's what I got for resistance across pins 8 and 9(injectors) to the ECU ground (13 and 14).
meter set on 20k
pin 8 = 0.29
pin 9 = 0.26
That's certainly very low but I would have expected readings even lower, like in dead ground (0) to 20-30 Ohms. 290 Ohms is still very far away from infinity though!
I suggest you check if you get the same readings with the ECU connected/powered as ignitionautosport suggests. I didn't know the ECU could "rest" at ground so to rule that out it's worth a bit of time.
If the same results do come up looks like you'll be contributing to Allan's retirement fund. ;)
Good luck.