what made you choose DTA over other ecu's?

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Mikey p
ECU Model: S60 Pro

what made you choose DTA over other ecu's?

Post by Mikey p »

Hi,

Still undecided as to which ECU to use for my Westfield build.

What was it that swayed you towards using DTA?

I like the functionality of the s60 but wasn't 100% on the software and the fact you need a knob box to make incremental changes easier when I did some cal work on a s40.

I also like the fact that you can use your own sensor lin curves so your not limited to using the ECU manufactures sensors.

I have experience with EFi euro4, Pectel, Tag, and OEM software like ATI vision and INCA.

Cheers
Mike
Westfield running a Duratec with S60Pro
RWD Zetec Turbo Mk1 Focus being built with S80Pro
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: what made you choose DTA over other ecu's?

Post by stevieturbo »

You dont need knob boxes, you can change values manually. But the live tuning aspect really does need improvement IMO. It doesnt cater very well for proper quick and live tuning via manual entry.

That said, it is very easy to use.

I bought my P8Pro back in 2001, and was the first full install I ever did ( had used a Motec pnp previously just )
So it was a big step. Three main things steered me towards it. Closed loop lambda/autotune ( which fell short of expectations, as it does for many ), traction control and price.

Over 10 years on and I have no regrets at all, the P8 served me well, and I upgraded to the S80Pro as soon as it came out.
It's a great all round unit that has easy to use software, and IMO all at a very good price. Despite the "could be better" live tuning aspect. The lambda recording, and now ghost trace features and the datalogging. Actual tuning really is very easy despite no simple +/- keystroke changes to the map.

I dont think Ive come across an ecu yet that forces you to use specific sensors though. Apart from the odd specific PnP unit, but that's expected

When people ask what ecu etc...I always tell them they need to sit and think, and write down exactly what they need the ecu to do for them, and what it needs to control. Only then can they really decide what is most suitable.
The S80Pro ticks most boxes and is well featured. To the extent I'd almost always recommend buying at least that model as it does offer more future proofing. Especially for a 2wd car for the traction control features.
Mikey p
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by Mikey p »

Does the closed loop not work that well then? does it need constant load and RPM to work efficiently? ie dyno/rollers?
Yeah I found the live tuning function but didn't find it helpful when making changes on the road where it is difficult to hold steady loads. Ended up just typing values and confirming each (but you risk entering a incorrect figure if not careful).

The price does seem competitive to rivals. I do like the look of life racing control systems also but again the price is quite a bit more.

Mike
Westfield running a Duratec with S60Pro
RWD Zetec Turbo Mk1 Focus being built with S80Pro
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I just mean that people see "autotune" mentioned, and the think it literally means that. The ecu will tune itself with no input from the user.

But yes closed loop does seem slower to respond than would be liked.

Really there are dozens of ecu's available these days with a huge range in price tags. You just have to make a choice and stick with it.
VR6Turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

My choice was made easy because my local tuner uses DTA and plenty of other people using my car / engine also use it, so the support and map library was there to begin with.

I cut my teeth on a P8 Pro but found it's functionality was too limited for my needs.

Then I got an S80 and it was an excellent ECU all round. As already mentioned, the two areas that caused the most tuning trouble were closed loop and idle control. They weren't so horrifically bad as to make the car undrivable, but they were miles off what the engine's original (and much older!) computer could achieve.

Obviously with all standalones, racing features take priority over road car refinements, but the S80 is extremely close to being a perfect compromise between the two imo.
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

one thing to think about is how easy S series is to set-up, ie with MoTeC you can make any channel or table read any sensor this makes it completely flexible but on the flip side it takes far longer to setup to start up with!

the reason i use DTA on my race bike is the simple cost! S80 ~ £850. M800 with the upgrades i would need is about £4500.