V64

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
MarcoV6T
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Re: V64

Post by MarcoV6T »

I think the one problem with fuel cut on certain engines is that you’ll be drying out the intake runners, and recovery will take longer, the advantage is that you’ll have lower EGT’s, and no bangs or pop’s.
Jon K wrote:Until you work in a noisy (not talking about audio) area and drop packets and receive interference. I feel any sort of datalog/ECU device with "wifi" is a gimmick. You cannot have reliability with wifi. None!
Why couldn’t you? With good hardware it’s almost just as reliable as a wired connection. Where I have the car, there are at least 6-7 different AP’s plus mine, thus one can speak of a noisy environment, I can download logs, up/downloading calibrations and stay connected to the ECU for hours without issues , if for some reason it loses connection, it will pick it back on in a few seconds, without any loss of data(good software is also the key here).

These days, almost everything is wirelessly, thus it’s certainly not an argument for selling purposes anymore.
Jon K wrote:Pectel is impressive. So is the price. I have priced out Pectels for the cars I work on (BMW inline 6 turbos) and without even getting crazy with the harness, its about $6-7k. Its a lovely little box at $2700-3000... then you add traction control, datalogging, egt, boost control... these are all $300 - $500 options here in the US. If I went the route I did with my sensors and loom it'd be a $7-8k ECU. Out of touch with reality on a personally funded street car. If you're making money racing or sponsored by someone who does, then who cares. But for the end user the only ECU I can consider is DTA or maybe a Vipec but I don't like the support that Vipec comes with. DTA has been great for me.
1Mbyte data logging and boost control are standard, a fully featured SQ6 will be around 5K, not 6-7K.

The biggest advantage of the SQ6(besides its advanced features) is its flexibility, you can give any unused coil or injector output a different function(PWM or On/Off), or even configure it as an analog or digital input.

It still is a lot of money, but it’s worth it every penny, still I wouldn’t have bought it the retail price.
Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Re: V64

Post by Jon K »

I was indicating that it would be upwards of $7k with a harness. That's not even counting extraneous sensors you need to add in the event your car doesn't have some.

Either way, a $5k, $6k, $7k+ ECU is in a different realm of DTA. Anyone can add features to a box and charge a ton. Its getting features in a box and making the price realistic that is the challenge.

BTW Cosworth is one of our customers at my job I have seen the dealer pricing. Int he US, it's very much $7k full featured.
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW