Variable boost with an S80 Pro

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
DJWilma
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: Roverdose

Variable boost with an S80 Pro

Post by DJWilma »

hi all new here but

I have an S80 Pro ecu and a gizzmo for boost modulation

But can the S80 run variable boost, either on a scramble function or twisting a knob ?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Variable boost with an S80 Pro

Post by stevieturbo »

you can set boost as straightforward boost.

You can do boost vs gear, boost vs throttle, boost vs road speed and also boost vs rpm.

These are user defined though. The only changes a driver could make after final mapping are the two distinct maps.

So you could have 2 complete setups based on any of the above, which really should be adequate.

There is a feature when the laptop is connected that allows you to use the dyno box knobs to adjust boost...but cant see any practical way of using that in-car.

What exactly were you wanting boost to do ?
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

If I use the gizmo as I had in my metro I can modulate boost from actuator pressure to roughly double actuator pressure and anything in between at the push of a button.

It could store 6 boost settings but these were all adjustable from the drivers position.

Ie 12 psi
14Psi
16psi
18Psi
20Psi
24Psi
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

I could never imagine the need for 6 different boost settings via a manual switch, other than for novelty reasons.

I do agree it would be nice for the ecu to allow the driver a little more in-car adjustment. 2 boost maps per engine map would be nice.

But the two maps are ok, especially as you can do boost vs rpm, throttle and gear if you wished which would be of more use than manually changing boost from the drivers seat.

If traction is an issue in lower gears, then those features will be of far more use than any number of manual settings.

Use a 4 port solenoid and you will have an even wider range of control, as you'll be able to blow the w/g open for low boost, and blow it shut for higher than usual boost via the same w/g plumbed in a more conventional manner.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

If you are not using the gear pot for a sequential gearbox you could use a dash mounted pot to work the 'Use Gear PWM Modifier' in Turbo control settings, this looks to give you 12 available settings of boost.
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

stevie, thanks but i think its best explained like sky plus, when someone explains you can pause live tv you think why...you then have sky plus and need a wee after too much beer watching the olympics and wow you can pause live tv

You then move and cant have sky plus........novelty it may be but in a car weighing 850kgs i'd like to have the boost as controllable as possible rather than defcon1 and defcon4 only

Rob, thanks i will take a look.....otherwise i will be using a Gizzmo again
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

DJWilma wrote:stevie, thanks but i think its best explained like sky plus, when someone explains you can pause live tv you think why...you then have sky plus and need a wee after too much beer watching the olympics and wow you can pause live tv

You then move and cant have sky plus........novelty it may be but in a car weighing 850kgs i'd like to have the boost as controllable as possible rather than defcon1 and defcon4 only

The ecu will do a better job of controlling boost automatically than the driver will continually messing with buttons whilst driving.

Map boost vs rpm and gear and it should be a very user friendly setup and be much easier to drive faster. Which should result in you going faster.

I'd think traction would be pretty good on a car like that though ? It certainly has all the weight in the right place.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

I'd love a traction control strategy of lowering boost to gate spring pressure before cutting cylinders - though thats a touch advanced and would be a headache to setup perhaps, if they made it possible even.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
DJWilma

Post by DJWilma »

stevieturbo wrote:
DJWilma wrote:stevie, thanks but i think its best explained like sky plus, when someone explains you can pause live tv you think why...you then have sky plus and need a wee after too much beer watching the olympics and wow you can pause live tv

The ecu will do a better job of controlling boost automatically than the driver will continually messing with buttons whilst driving.

Map boost vs rpm and gear and it should be a very user friendly setup and be much easier to drive faster. Which should result in you going faster.

I'd think traction would be pretty good on a car like that though ? It certainly has all the weight in the right place.
have you actually used a boost controller ?

You press a button it changes to a pre-set boost, the button can be added to the back of the steering wheel and will scramble through 6 boost settings or for example add 5psi of boost for a set time, pressing it again adds another 5psi.

Ecu wont control as accurately as a seperate boost controller, and the DTA will only store 2 maps. 12psi waste gate to 30psi should be achievable and thats 280 to 400bhp or way too big a jump

rpm boost doesnt benefit imo as its limited to the amount of boost difference you can have per RPM.

And before you ask why do i want the ecu to do it, i dont want a dash full of different gauges and gadgets
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

? well why ask, if you want a stand alone boost controller fill your boots. I've indicated how dta can do this with a rotary knob. I have no experience of a stand alone boost controller but hear good things, but I think dta would be just as good once set up ok by someone with the patience to do it, just don't blame the equipment if it doesn't work straight out of the box, there is plenty of good advice here.