Autoshifting on the S80 Pro

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
dominics
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Autoshifting on the S80 Pro

Post by dominics »

Hello All,

I am new to the DTA S80 and this website as well. I am the electrical team leader for the racing club at my university, and i do not know that much about the DTA so im trying my best to learn all i can.

But to the point now, many members on my team recommended i look into autoshifting, which would be a great help to us during competition especially when racing endurance. I am here looking for any tips or advice people may have on how to accomplish this, or what ways would be the best to go about doing this.

****Upshift only*****

If you also have any other helpful tips feel free to share.

Thank you.
Last edited by dominics on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lumley32
Firmware Version: 61

Re: Autoshifting on the S80 Pro

Post by lumley32 »

what do you mean by Autoshifting?

fully auto or just 100% throttle up changes?

button shift or still using a lever?

what gearbox are you using?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I can see where you might want an auto-upshift on a drag car.

but no way would I want ecu controlled up and downshifts on a car that goes around corners or has to accelerate and decelerate.
That's getting into very complicated territory as far as making it work, work safely, and work efficiently.

I guess though in it's most basic format. Use an rpm switch to force both up changes and down changes.
But there really should be more variables to consider before changing gear.
dominics

Post by dominics »

stevieturbo wrote:I can see where you might want an auto-upshift on a drag car.

but no way would I want ecu controlled up and downshifts on a car that goes around corners or has to accelerate and decelerate.
That's getting into very complicated territory as far as making it work, work safely, and work efficiently.

I guess though in it's most basic format. Use an rpm switch to force both up changes and down changes.
But there really should be more variables to consider before changing gear.

I forget to mention the autoshift would only be for up shifting not down shifting. In what ways would going around corners complicate things if only up shift was auto?
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

dont like the idea, but its easy to do! use an aux to trigger a pneumatic ram and the flat-shift option at a set rpm, would be worth putting in a limmet on if from TPS so it only changes if your over 95% say

have you ever driven a race car fast? changing gear mid corner is a bad idea even with 40ms changes!
Last edited by lumley32 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

crude, but it would probably work!
Attachments
auto change .jpg
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

I think that would do it, good idea using map 2 switch to arm it, might need to add another rpm point at say 15500 and 100% to ensure the air ram doesn't find a false neutral.
lumley32

Post by lumley32 »

yes rob, your right on the 4th rpm point, i woke up at about 4am and realised! how sad it that!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Changing gear mid corner with a sequential would be fine...but only if the driver actually requested it and knows it's going to happen.

Having an ecu do it automatically is risky. And Ive seen people use a shift light or other rpm switch before fort upshifts.

But if you light the tyres up in 1st...it upshifts, light them up in 2nd...up shift...then it bogs down in 3rd

Automatic upshifting with only very basic control logic isnt always ideal