1.8t coil on plug (late model ones without ign amp)

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
ibizacupra
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Re: 1.8t coil on plug (late model ones without ign amp)

Post by ibizacupra »

££ is one reason... not the only reason.
its suks that the S40 canot drive cop on a 4cyl car when its a 4cyl ecu.. S60 should not be needed to drive modern cop outputs imho.

i will just as well go to coil pack and leads, but thats a backwards step to me, the S40 should be capable of driving cop
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

IMHO if you by an ecu with 2 ing outputs then its for driving 2 coils! your not gaining anything by running coil on plug as you have to run them lost spark anyway!

the ecu can drive 4 coils as you have said, the fact is your coils draw to much current, or you have the dwell set to long these are the reason the ecu is getting hot!

if you ran say 2 2 channel bosch amps then you would have no problem, last time i brought one i think it was £40?

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/en-US/li ... 309387.pdf

thats a 3 channel one, but i have used these as well, same pin out and connector just more pins used
lumley32
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by lumley32 »

stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

In effect that is the same as pairing the DTA outputs to single coils with built in amps.

It's weird that it doesnt work though
ibizacupra

Post by ibizacupra »

I have reduced the coil on time from 3000us which worked on a normal valeo coil pack previously, and I am down to 1000us and the drivers are still running hot.

there is something else weird occuring also, which I have not seen before..
The revs are not stable, and by stable I mean on a steady state rpm under some load (on my dyno) I am fixed at for example 3000rpm, but the rpm from the dta (via dtaswin) jumps 200rpm and back again whilst the engine is not jumping at all.
when I increase load/revs I then get small misfire starting, afr's ok at this point, and I see crank error's start to count up in chunks where they were zero.
I thought this was the crank sensor (unknown engine to me or customer) and swapped it for another (albeit pattern part), and initially I thought it was better, but its again doing the same thing. If I load it up heavier, it pop's bangs etc and clearly looses its crank position and the crank error's leap up.

I am wondering if the coil driver temps, erratic step change rpm, and this misfire crank sensor error's are in some way related.

I will try the external ign amp next, as I think we have one around here somewhere. Running wasted spark is fine for me, just reliable spark would be handy without overheating the s40! I just wish the S40 could drive the internal amp'd coils directly, they dont need to be a "load" as all we need is a trigger surely to the internal amps in the coils. It wont have it tho, I know, sadly.
Antral

Post by Antral »

When the coil drivers get too hot they start to protect themselves and cut out, after a while they will stop working until they cool down.
The S40 was not made to run the coil on plug set up and the plastic box can,t get rid of the heat as a metal box would.
ibizacupra

Post by ibizacupra »

Antral wrote:When the coil drivers get too hot they start to protect themselves and cut out, after a while they will stop working until they cool down.
The S40 was not made to run the coil on plug set up and the plastic box can,t get rid of the heat as a metal box would.
understood..
the misfire thing, do you think its related?
coil drive temp on diagnostics screen is not lit up red when it looses crank sense and misfires. Two issues perhaps, but the unstable rpms makes me wonder whats occuring.. on steady state rpms, there are no errors on crank sensor or anything but the rpms do leap this 200rpm whilst the engine clearly is'nt.

:?:
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

One thing DTA does not do, is control the firing edge.

Most coils will fall on the falling edge, as power is removed ( or ground removed, same odds )

Some coils however fire on the rising edge. ie, when no power is applied they charge and when power is applied to the trigger wire, they fire.

If this is wrong, dwell will be wrong, and could lead to overheating and failure. As well as the risk of incorrect ignition timing.
ibizacupra

Post by ibizacupra »

yep.. i can confirm trying to use the original vw hitachi external coil amp is not compatible for this very reason.. wrong edge triggered.

reverted to coil pack I had hanging about which has fixed the coil driver issue, but the crank sensor rejected pulses and misfire >4krpm is still there.

moved wiring away from rest of loom, as far as possible and no change.
new crank sensor on there friday, but same thing now as then, just at higher rpm I think. 4krpm and misfires, pops and bangs ensue (als type flames out of tailpipe, lol)
*maybe* new crank sensor being pattern part is still the cause..

dont quite a few 1.8t on s40/s60 and not had these problems.. Grrrrr
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Have you scoped the sensor during the problem ?

Any HT wiring near the crank sensor wiring ? Sensor polarity correct ?