Help - Which Lambda Probe with S40 pro

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
E7DER
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Help - Which Lambda Probe with S40 pro

Post by E7DER »

I'm installing an S40 pro into my Westfield and have a general question on which lambda probe I should use, I have been looking at PLX SM-AFR.
Im really looking for some guidance / recommendation to use with the S40

Thanks

Campbell
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Help - Which Lambda Probe with S40 pro

Post by stevieturbo »

There really are many options.

Innovates MTX stuff is very cheap and good quality

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Innovate-Wide ... 35b07c5945
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

I have used an LC-1, which was rubbish - however it died recently so maybe output was going wonky beforehand. I noticed somewhere that LC1's from DTA themselves have an extra circuit or modified, so perhaps the signal isn't the best to start with.

Replaced it with a NGK/NTK AFX and works awesome with the DTA. Doesnt seem to matter what I put in the PID (within reason), it pretty much 'just works'.

I grabbed mine from ebay, but more and more local suppliers seem to be popping up around the world.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

LC-1 is a pain in the hole, and given it is barely any cheaper than the MTX, I wouldnt even consider one.
xworks
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by xworks »

Running the PLX SM-AFR with an S40 2 months and am very happy with
the results so far.
MSEL
Firmware Version: 78

Post by MSEL »

NGK/NTK AFX is what we recommend.

What ever you do not install and Innovate LC1 - not reliable and generally a right pain in the bum. Also they have a tendency to chew through sensors so by the time you have paid for a couple of sensors you would have an NTK unit.
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

Anyone know of a UK supplier for the NTK AFX?
MSEL wrote:What ever you do not install and Innovate LC1 - not reliable and generally a right pain in the bum. Also they have a tendency to chew through sensors so by the time you have paid for a couple of sensors you would have an NTK unit.
Funnily enough, I was saying the same thing 4 or 5 years ago and everyone was like "It's your tune. Nothing wrong with the LC-1". It's always been utter junk in my opinion. Selling a Wideband with no lab calibration is just crap, hence why people have to calibrate it themselves periodically. Any Wideband supplier who suggests putting a hoover on the tailpipe and holding the throttle open to calibrate it, doesn't inspire confidence.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

egay is probably cheapest for the NTK, but make sure you get it with the NTK sensor.
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

does anyone actually have data which proves the NTK sensor is better? I assume the usual rumour that the sensor lasts longer on race gas. Have seen LSU4.2 last fine on methanol even, if thats any comparison.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
VR6Turbo
Firmware Version: 62

Post by VR6Turbo »

Just read the NTK kit's instructions from here - http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-946-ng ... d-kit.aspx

It mentions having to periodically calibrate it and it only reads up to 16 AFR. I kind of want the full 10 - 20AFR range really as my engine can cruise leaner than 16 (fuel is EXPENSIVE these days) and I like to see 20 on the overrun. Just me being picky.

People using this kit, do you bother with the recalibrations? I like the PLX as you don't have to do that, but people do seem to really rate the NTK kit.