S40 connection to computer issues

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Scirockirb
ECU Model: S40 Pro

S40 connection to computer issues

Post by Scirockirb »

I have a newly installed S40 that I am having issues connecting to a laptop with a serial connection. I intermittently see it recognises the ECU is present but never communicates further, sometimes it just fails to connect. The ECU is priming my fuel pump on ignition so there is definitely some life there. I have checked the serial cable is working with all 5 wires having continuity.

Can anyone give me some troubleshooting pointers please? Feel free to teach me to suck eggs, this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: S40 connection to computer issues

Post by stevieturbo »

first and foremost, how are you connecting ?

direct serial, or a usb-serial adapter ?

Adapters can be troublesome, but very few laptops these days have a direct serial

If it's direct serial, it really should just work. Under what circumstances does the error appear ? Just sitting stationary ? trying to do something ? other ?
Scirockirb
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by Scirockirb »

I've tried all different ways... Direct serial is the last one I tried today still with no luck.

The engine won't start so the only situation can be sat with the ignition on until I can access the ECU.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Can you use the laptop to confirm what com port it thinks it has, somewhere in device manager or such like this will be found. Then set the DTA software to use that port and then try to connect, this can be found at File/Options
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

If it's direct serial, the laptop should only be on COM1 as that would be dictated by hardware, and likewise the DTA software should be set to COM1.

So the next question....what cable are you using, and is it correct ?

Very old, but still valid ( doesn't include the flash programming switch, but not important now )

http://www.quantums.info/injection.htm