Riddle me this? Timing will not change

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
c2turbo
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 89

Riddle me this? Timing will not change

Post by c2turbo »

Ok my next issue

DTA S80, coil on plug , twin plug, seq , 6-cylinder
with the timing light ecu timing map set to 0's scope looks perfect 60-2 cam sig good starts with seq turned on and active I set the crank sensor position
set to 75 and the timing mark with the timing light is spot on TDC running coil per plug ( so no wasted spark ) everything looks good

ok here is where it gets weird,i go back to the timing table set the timing at 12-15 deg start the car and the real-time mapping display screen shows the 12-15 degs of timing, But when I grab the timing light and check the TDC mark is still zero timing right on the TDC mark as it was when setting the static to zero. I can change the map to 35deg's still no change it is still on the TDC with the timing light.

The only way to move the mark off TDC with the timing light is if i change the crank position setting to 53 57 78 etc it will move the mark
is there a setting that locks the timing? is something wired wrong, what could cause this ? I basically can't adjust my timing.

Thanks for any ideas David
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Riddle me this? Timing will not change

Post by stevieturbo »

And when you change numbers in the advance table, are you doing F6 or CTRL/U etc to actually update/implement the changes in the table ?
And it says "current" in green bottom right ?
c2turbo

Post by c2turbo »

yep 100% and it show that it is adding the timing in the real time tuning screen when running
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Such a change would also make a distinct change the the engines behaviour, is the engine responding to the requested timing changes ?

Are you manually changing the cells, or trying to use the up/down feature of the real time mapping window ? I think there was something funny about trying to use it from the PC, instead of an actual pot box.

Although if real time info display is stating the timing changing....you'd expect it is changing. Such wide changes, you would easily hear and see this with the engine too.
What are datalogs showing ? Are they showing your changes ?
c2turbo

Post by c2turbo »

I have tried with the pot box and the keyboard, but when I make changes either way it shows in the logs and the realtime display. this has never been an issue in the past. Are there any issues with the newest software 90.30 that could cause this issue? i am at a loss I have replaced all ref sensors from mag to hall sensors changed COP's changed the map, injectors, and temp sensors. this is my last ditch effort before I swap to a different ECU.

Thanks again
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

randomly changing parts is dumb

And you have still not answered. Is the engine responding to these changes ?

Post a datalog
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Could you still be on the cranking phase of running, i.e. fixed tooth before TDC
Transition from cranking set too high?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Rob Stevens wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:11 am Could you still be on the cranking phase of running, i.e. fixed tooth before TDC
Transition from cranking set too high?
It does look like it offers a range from 500-4000rpm. So could be possible someone has that setting very wrong
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Or somehow on map 2, not the one you think you are on, I've been caught by this before

Reading some of your older posts I note that this engine is a 6 cylinder twin plug with coil on plug's with built in ignitors. How have you wired this to the ECU?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Rob Stevens wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:19 am Or somehow on map 2, not the one you think you are on, I've been caught by this before

Reading some of your older posts I note that this engine is a 6 cylinder twin plug with coil on plug's with built in ignitors. How have you wired this to the ECU?

Datalog would tell all, if timing is changing.

And as already said, such changes, if occurring, would see very obvious responses from the engine itself. But we're not getting a lot of feedback.