DTA S80 Mercury 700sci marine engine

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: DTA S80 Mercury 700sci marine engine

Post by Alex DTA »

stevieturbo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:05 pm
Alex DTA wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:06 am
stevieturbo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:56 pm

With one edge of a 24x being a regular edge....it can work in lieu of a more normal looking 24 tooth wheel. But the GM LS 24x is a crap wheel. It irks me when anyone goes out of their way to use it, when there are so much simpler and superior options
Nothing wrong with the trigger, as it's just a 24-0 trigger, if the falling edge is used.
S Series uses rising edge, so would require development to make it work, and there's no more development done on the S Series.
T Series can easily support that, so I'll add it when I have time.
The OEM GM wheel is a 2 piece, spot welded together piece of junk. It just is.

A 1 piece billet type wheel is of course a lot better...and if you decode it like an OEM wheel using both edges, it can give better cyl position info. But when using it on only the falling edge as a plain 24x wheel with no identifier...I see it as crap.
I would never recommend anyone uses a crank wheel with no TDC ID. It just makes zero sense. I would also dislike a plain 24 tooth, 12 tooth, whatever.
I can see no reason ever to run a crank wheel that doesn't have some sort of position identifier.ie, the missing tooth.
I'm simply talking about supporting an OEM trigger. It can be done simple.
It doesn't mean it's the best, but that's what's there, we'll use it.

There's also nothing wrong with no missing teeth. The only downside is slower starting, as the cam edge is required.
Once it's running, there's no difference