S60 vs Focus ST170 engine

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
haadee
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 8900

S60 vs Focus ST170 engine

Post by haadee »

Is there anyone out there that has got full vvt working with a DTAS60 ecu?
I have the engine running, but it does not read the cam position.
When using the oscilloscope function I can see the ECU gets 5 pulses from the sensor in 2 crankshaft rotations.
While the engine is running, and I open diagnostics overview I can also see changing value for camshaft sensor.
I have selected flywheel mode 13 - ST170 36-1 / 5 tooth cam wheel.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause the DTA to not process the pulses to a cam position value?
(cam sensor noise filter is deselected in sequential injection menu)
Engine will not run when sequential injection or VVT cam control is enabled.
The ECU is on firmware 41.00
scope CRANKING.JPG
haadee

Re: S60 vs Focus ST170 engine

Post by haadee »

I updated to firmware v89 to make sure the old firmware was not the issue.
The update did not change anything.

I then looked at my sequential settings, and thought I would give the signal filter option a go.
So I activated this and filled in the MIN & MAX tooth value (I got the info for this from the oscilloscope).
Settings are now as shown.
sequential.JPG
The engine will now run on sequential injection, as can be seen on the diagnostic screen, so a little step forward.
It shows cam signal trigger detected at tooth 24, and I guess the position 152 degrees?
I calculated it at 150 degrees static position from the amount of tooth I got of the scope image (calculation for this is in the manual).
So I guess I have a position value that makes sense now.
Knipsel running.JPG
When I use diagnostic - real time chart cam advance value will still remain 0.
Engine shuts off when I enable VVT cam advance control.
I thought maybe the cam advance value only shows when this is enabled but I can not confirm this.
Below are the VVT setup values
vvt.JPG
Anyone have any ideas to get it all up and running?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

The diagnostic screen shows your cam position as 151.8 so 152 is fine to be used in 'Cam Position Sensor' , you have it set as 150.
There was some help on cam control the DTA youtube but it appears to have disappeared,
or it may have been on the dta web site.
Do you have the cam advance table and PWM base set up and I assume the cam control solenoid is working ?
Either way I don't think the engine should stop once you turn the VVT on, it may be something to do with the cam masking you are using, once you turn the cam on it may jump outside of the window and loose it's position?
Sorry guessing really, I've not personally used cam control.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

haadee

Post by haadee »

Thanks for the reply, I have base pwm table set to 90 all cells and target advance to 20 degrees all cells for now.
I had not seen the link you posted, I was however familiar with the way to setup base position (151.8 in my case).
The thing is my cam advance readout value remains 0, if it says position is 151.8 (at diagnostic display) and I have 150 in the sequential settings.
The cam advance value should be 1.8 degrees.

The other thing is when I change settings to VVT active while the engine is running is shuts off.
(that is with or without the solenoid connected, so it is not caused by something mechanical)
My guess is for some unknown reason the ECU isn't accepting it.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Have you emailed Alex at DTA ?

He'd be best to advise.
haadee

Post by haadee »

Yes I have, we exchanged quite a few e-mails a few weeks ago on one day, he was very responsive.
I sent my map to him, which he checked but could not see any obvious things faulty.
Of course this took some of his time, then he told me to try a firmware update or try online support session with them at 50GBP/hr.
I didn't fancy spending anymore money on it really, so thats where we quit our conversation.

As I posted earlier I did do a firmware update.
I re-read the mails between Alex and myself.
I noticed he said cam trigger (as seen os ossiloscope) always needs to be the one at tooth 32.
Below as a scope image capture when the engine is idling.
It sees it at tooth 33, so I set the filter to min.30 max.35
scope running v2.JPG
Next I had the engine idling again, this time I kept it revved @2k rpm and then switched VVT control function on. (still without solenoid disconnected).
This time the engine did not die, but kept running and weehoo I am getting cam advance value readout :D .

However I wanted to know why, so I reset my cam trigger filter to min.19 and max.26
So it will trigger on tooth 24, with both settings/triggers the engine keeps running now and VVT readout values keep working as they should.
My thinking is; it's needed to trigger at tooth 24, as that only occurs 1 time in 2 crank rotations (seen on scope image I posted earlier, which was recorded while cranking the engine) so it is a 'unique' pulse trigger.
However the scope image I post now, was recorded when engine is idling and they somehow seem to occur the same all the time.
The engine runs fine with both settings, so my guess now is that it doesn't matter which one as long as you adjust cam static position accordingly.

That's it for now, my guess all is fine now.
We will see when we base map it on rolling road and then setup the PID for the VVT.

Just to clear things up, the only thing I did different today was rev engine a little bit when turning the VVT control that's it.
I can now start the engine with sequential injection and vvt control on, and it will fire up and keep running (with everything reading values as it should)
katana
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Confused as ANY cam tooth will only be seen once per 720 degrees of rotation?
I told you, you'd likely get an answer here!
haadee

Post by haadee »

You are right about that.
My thought was if there are 5 tooth and of them 4 are evenly spaced out.
The signal will not be unique at any time in 2 crankshaft rotations, when you filter out (/trigger on) 1 of the 4 evenly spaced out tooth.
As could be seen on first ossiloscope picture I posted.

On the second scope picture taken when idling, there does not appear to be a unique tooth anymore in 2 crankshaft rotations for some reason.
Still don't really know why it works now and did not work before that, but hey if it works it works haha
haadee

Post by haadee »

Back again working on the car.
Have the VVT working, real cam advance follows the target really well.
So happy about that.

Just have one problem left, when I am running sequential injection/vvt on the crank pulse that occurs on crank tooth 33.
Static position 242 and tooth filter min-max 30-35.
Everything works until I hit a VVT target advance higher then 21 degrees I don't know what happens but engine dies.
Then goes to lower rpm and VVT target advance and it will picks up again (happens all in 1-2 seconds).
While I have real time mapping screen on my view, the injector pulsewidth shown does not drop to zero or lower alot.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

My thinking was with 242 static cam position and 21 or higher degrees advance it might all be to close to 360 degrees for the ECU to act on it (do the maths and send the right PWM signal.
So I tried setting the trigger filter to other pulses, and their corresponding cam static position to test this idea.
On some triggers it will not even run sequential.
I found out with cam trigger filter set so it sees the pulse on crank tooth +-25 it will run sequential and operate the VVT.
Cam static position for this cam pulse is 151 degrees.
When running these settings I can advance the VVT to 35 degrees maximum then it dies and picks up again as described earlier.
35 degrees is only a bit more then half of the 60 degrees it should be able to move.

Attached are my latest settings
VVT sets.JPG
seq settings.JPG