Ignition advance, Duratec startup

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
peter a
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Ignition advance, Duratec startup

Post by peter a »

Hi,
I've just recently started up a Duratec 2l on throttle bodies using the standard Zetec map that comes with the SW. In the standard map the advance is quite high (15-33 degrees) even at no/low load so I reduced the advance to 5degrees for 0% and 4 % load, disabled idle control, and downloaded the new map. However when I start the engine, the advance is still high ~28degrees if I remember correctly. The load is 3% and RPM ~3000 before I get the advance down, and in that range the advance is 5 degrees in the map. I can compensate with the "Adjustments degrees" in the real time mapping window and get the advance and RPM down, but any suggestions to why it is high in the first place? Is there some 3D interpolation, or startup ignition advance going on?

BR
/Peter
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Ignition advance, Duratec startup

Post by Rob Stevens »

If you look at the live mapping window you will be able to see where any map compensations are coming from, ignition is orange and fuel blue. Start up ignition is just on crank teeth until a threshold has been reached and the engine considered running properly.
This assumes you have reset the TPS to 0 ?
peter a

Post by peter a »

Had not have time to work on the car recently but thanks, I'll have a look in the live mapping window and see if there is any advance compensation going on.

@Rob Stevens: "Start up ignition is just on crank teeth", I guess you mean that the advance is not taken from any map, but just hardcoded to one of the crank teeth, is that so? And if yes, what advance angle with that be? I don't think that what I see, because the engine was running for some 10-30s (at least) and also running consistently.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yes start up is hard linked to crank teeth, in general engine settings you will have a 36 tooth wheel and another setting saying something like 'firing tooth on start' set to something like 1 so this is fixed at 10deg btdc. If set to 2 this will be 20 deg btdc etc.
peter a

Post by peter a »

Aha I did not know, thanks! Its set to 0 in my map, but since it starts I guess that's fine.