Firmware too old

Discuss issues and tuning software like DTASWin, E-Race, MegaLogViewer(DTA), etc. Also post archive versions of firmware.
poq
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Re: Firmware too old

Post by poq »

I give up. Hours spent and can’t get it into flash mode.

I’m using a laptop with a serial port. Found a newer version of the flash tool, 2.4b and still no joy.

Maybe the unit is broken?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

poq wrote:Yeh, I’m just saying it’s a pain powering up the unit hoping it goes into flash mode and then checking in the flash app.

But I’ve tried about 100 times now and still doesn’t go into flash mode. The fuel pump starts immediately every single time.
Then it would seem either you or your cable are incorrect.

It's dead easy.

Press flash button. Power on ecu. Release button. Flash. Done.
poq

Post by poq »

Just to add a bit of detail, I'm trying to upgrade from v65 to the latest as I want to add a Racecapture pro system to my car and use the CAN output of the ECU.

There seems to be a number of CAN bug fixes and features added since v65 and would like to benefit from these before pulling the trigger and buying the Racecapture system.

With this in mind, do you feel it's worth persevering with the firmware upgrade or just leave it at v65?

Does the button need a resistor wired to work? I had a look at the board and then searched around for some info on the main chip and datasheet. To get into the bootloader mode pin POL4 needs to be set low during boot. One site's flasher for the chip states that POL4 should be earthed via a 500ohm or greater resistor.

https://chiptuningshop.com/tag/st10f269/

Would this make it more reliable? Are pins 8 and 13 going to GND and POL4?

Thanks!
poq

Post by poq »

I've checked the cable and button multiple times. It's is definitely wired to pins 8 and 13 and the circuit is closed when pressed.

The cable is plugged into the unit and laptop. DTAswin works fine and the map can be accessed so data cable is good. DTAswin is closed and the car powered off completely (via breaker switch). I hold the button closing pins 8 & 13, power the car and immediately the fuel pump primes. Tried the flasher and just says not in monitor mode.

The only thing I can think of is the DE15 connector has been forced and pin 8 or 13 have broken!
poq

Post by poq »

I think I've just found the issue!!! The DE15 plug on my cable has been assembled incorrectly!

The back of the plug has been placed on to the face upside down!

Check out the attached picture. I should have figured this out when pin 10/6 kept pushing back into the plug.

I haven't put it back together yet but I just know it will work.

Sorry for wasting your time with this :(. I feel pretty stupid and thought I was going mad.
Attachments
IMG_2232.jpeg
poq

Post by poq »

Plugged it in, pressed the button. Worked first time and upgraded the firmware in about 5 minutes. :D

Again, thanks for your help. Cable was the issue! That’s how the plug came assembled.

Sean
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Wow, would you believe that!
But surely nothing would work?
poq

Post by poq »

Even when mirroring the pins only the middle row will be wrong. So pins 1-5 were fine. Only 6-10 were shifted to one side
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

WOW..that was well spotted...and bizarre whoever done it !!
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Use this guide:
https://www.dtafast.co.uk/download_file ... TA%20S.pdf

If the fuel pump primes every time, then your flash button isn't working.