Gear indicator Potentiometer

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
raymonddfz
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA! Garath

Gear indicator Potentiometer

Post by raymonddfz »

Hi, I have an S40 and have been trying to set up the flat shift in the ECU and have used the potentiometer that was fitted to the Hewland JFR when I bought it, this was used to run a stand alone gear indicator. I have shared this for the ECU to provide gear voltages and it works fine. I had to turn the potentiometer through 180 deg to get the gear voltages in the ECU reading ascending. However the stand alone gear indicator, now won’t work correctly. The gear indicator keeps coming up with an error code, which indicates that the potentiometer is close to it’s dead area.

Has anyone shared a single channel gear position pot with the S40 and a stand alone gear indicator before?

Any thoughts?

Regards
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Gear indicator Potentiometer

Post by stevieturbo »

you probably need to reprogram the gear indicator to suit the new voltages.
raymonddfz

Post by raymonddfz »

Thanks. I have tried to do this but it keeps coming up with an error because the pot is close to its ‘dead point’. This is after I turned The pot around so it gave the correct readings in the ECU.

How would you wire A shared POT? Does it need both 5v power supplies or just sensor and ground and 1power supply For example.
Any help grateful
Andy-reid
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA Direct
Firmware Version: 73.01

Post by Andy-reid »

i opted to use a twin output and use the 0 &5v ref from the dta and just fed the 2nd signal wire to my stand alone display works a treat
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Andy-reid wrote:i opted to use a twin output and use the 0 &5v ref from the dta and just fed the 2nd signal wire to my stand alone display works a treat

Is that's what is normally fitted to Tractive ? Had a car sitting a while back, and noted it 4 wires coming from the sensors...but always thought that was strange, but couldnt see what sensor it was to get a part number etc.
Andy-reid
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA Direct
Firmware Version: 73.01

Post by Andy-reid »

penny and giles part number srh280dp/359/359 phone 01202409409 or try dta
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

raymonddfz wrote:Hi, I have an S40 and have been trying to set up the flat shift in the ECU and have used the potentiometer that was fitted to the Hewland JFR when I bought it, this was used to run a stand alone gear indicator. I have shared this for the ECU to provide gear voltages and it works fine. I had to turn the potentiometer through 180 deg to get the gear voltages in the ECU reading ascending. However the stand alone gear indicator, now won’t work correctly. The gear indicator keeps coming up with an error code, which indicates that the potentiometer is close to it’s dead area.

Has anyone shared a single channel gear position pot with the S40 and a stand alone gear indicator before?

Any thoughts?

Regards
If your firmware is high enough, you can reverse the pot voltage in the ECU.
Set the gear display up correctly first, then set up the ECU, as that is more flexible.

Ideally move to a twin output pot as mentioned above
raymonddfz

Post by raymonddfz »

Ok thanks all. I have found a broken wire in the gear indicator connector that needs to be rectified first so I will have a go at all this later this week, cheers