Electronic throttle actuator

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
MGFMINI
ECU Model: P8 Pro

Electronic throttle actuator

Post by MGFMINI »

Good evening,
Does anyone have any experience with fitting a Jenvey electric throttle actuator and a P8 Pro ECU.
I am having issues with my throttle cable set up to Jenvey throttle bodies and considering the above. Assuming that the TPS on the throttle bodies, fit one to throttle pedal and one fitted to actuator would would provide closed loop but can the P* act as the controller or would you need a stand alone controller?

Thanks
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Electronic throttle actuator

Post by Alex DTA »

P8 cannot control an electronic throttle body, and has no way of connecting to an external controller.
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Thanks Alex,
It is a P8 Pro and reading through the the manual, under the electronic pedal settings it states the below..

"These settings act as a safety feature for an external throttle actuator. It works by having two potentiometers, one on the pedal and one on the butterfly. These are constantly compared and if they differ by more than the allowed amount for more than the specified time then the engine will shut down. This should only occur when either of the sensors fails or the actuator is stuck"

Wondering if the STC will work as a standalone controller and drive the Jenvey actuator? then piggy back the potentiometer signal from the pedal into the P8 pro (TPS on throttle bodies I guess is already being read when you tick that the electronic pedal used box in the settings?)
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

P8 is a P8 Pro, there is only one ecu.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

No need for electronic actuator, just concentrate on sorting the cable out, the cable and linkage on my elise is fine so yours can be too. Buy a good quality cable and make sure you use lots of cable travel.
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Thanks Rob,
Think I will have to look at some kind of linkage arm arrangement to be able to fit a heavy return spring
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

If you have the Jenvey DTH TB there are 100's in use but you may need a bracket that mounts on 2 bolt holes on the head to hold the cable outer, or probably best of all to buy a proper linkage kit something like one of these.
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/omex-th ... s-1004658/

Try and avoid heavy springs as it just causes more friction on the cable and as mentioned above try and maximise the cable travel, it makes it smoother,
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Looks like there might have been the option to use the P8 with an external controller at some point.
The STC won't work as it communicates with the ECU via CAN, and so will only work with an S Series ECU.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

If you were really stuck, there are other DBW controllers intended for standalone use.

Although it would be preferable to have the controller integrated with the ecu for safety reasons.. And a fully standalone throttle, wouldnt really offer all the same benefits of DBW, but it would be functional.

Russian one for sale on ebay

http://russiandrag.ru/forum/showthread. ... 202&page=7

https://ozmoengineering.com/shop/standa ... ontroller/

ECU Master also offers one with very little wiring, instructions dont really seem clear though
MGFMINI

Post by MGFMINI »

Thanks Stevie,
I managed to fabricate a linkage arm that I fixed to the pedal via control rod, forgot to take photos and located under the seat. Seems to work ok but will see how long it lasts when I finally get the car going properly