can bad battry cause map to change on next stratup?????

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
Andreas Norway
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: Kl racing

Re: can bad battry cause map to change on next stratup?????

Post by Andreas Norway »

katana wrote:I think this is a problem of terminology for non geeky guys that don't understand the difference! If I see ground, I expect it to be a ground ie. connected to chassis, engine block or battery neg. If you don't want it connected to 'ground', call it something else like ecu out! Then you'd get ecu volts, ecu out and sensor ecu return for a TPS for example - clear & unambiguous!

I have a similar problem when it comes to logic switches - they are either on or off as far as MY logic understands. Having them go 'high' or go 'low' is absolutely meaningless to me!
I was getting confused with all the grounds you guys talking about wen i have only one ground wire from pin 13 and 14 + the case pin.
And you mixed in sensor grounds aswell so yes i couldn't really understand everything since my logic is sensors is grounded in ecu..
And remember this i am from norway + im dyslectic so i belive if you guys think i am dumb but thats an another story..

But finaly i moved the ground to power ground and it seems fixed so i have to say thanks to you guys ur best!!!!!
Living life sideways
Antral

Post by Antral »

Andreas Norway wrote:
katana wrote:I think this is a problem of terminology for non geeky guys that don't understand the difference! If I see ground, I expect it to be a ground ie. connected to chassis, engine block or battery neg. If you don't want it connected to 'ground', call it something else like ecu out! Then you'd get ecu volts, ecu out and sensor ecu return for a TPS for example - clear & unambiguous!

I have a similar problem when it comes to logic switches - they are either on or off as far as MY logic understands. Having them go 'high' or go 'low' is absolutely meaningless to me!
I was getting confused with all the grounds you guys talking about wen i have only one ground wire from pin 13 and 14 + the case pin.
And you mixed in sensor grounds aswell so yes i couldn't really understand everything since my logic is sensors is grounded in ecu..
And remember this i am from norway + im dyslectic so i belive if you guys think i am dumb but thats an another story..

But finaly i moved the ground to power ground and it seems fixed so i have to say thanks to you guys ur best!!!!!
Great news well done lets hope thats the problem fixed, We don't think you are dumb please don't think that..
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

Post by mefmotorsport »

Sorry I missed out seeing this thread and the comments!

All sensor grounds must always return to the ecu pins that are marked as "sensor grounds" there are 2 pins which can share these. They are identical, ie. connected together internally. The "sensor grounds" are actually connected internally to the "power grounds" (not isolated), but the reason for returning all sensors to the sensor grounds pin is to reduce the possibility of creating an "earth loop" or "ground loop" which in turn could introduce unwanted noise and interference to the sensitive sensor inputs (including analogue & digital inputs) due to the very high currents flowing in the "power ground" wires caused by injectors and especially the ignition coils which could corrupt input signals.

I hope this makes things clearer?

Martin
Andreas Norway

Post by Andreas Norway »

mefmotorsport wrote:Sorry I missed out seeing this thread and the comments!

All sensor grounds must always return to the ecu pins that are marked as "sensor grounds" there are 2 pins which can share these. They are identical, ie. connected together internally. The "sensor grounds" are actually connected internally to the "power grounds" (not isolated), but the reason for returning all sensors to the sensor grounds pin is to reduce the possibility of creating an "earth loop" or "ground loop" which in turn could introduce unwanted noise and interference to the sensitive sensor inputs (including analogue & digital inputs) due to the very high currents flowing in the "power ground" wires caused by injectors and especially the ignition coils which could corrupt input signals.

I hope this makes things clearer?

Martin

I have moved the ground on the loom you made (Martin) to power ground and the problem is still happening..
Happens while i drive..
All i have to do is load in the map and it works some rounds on the track. And suddenly values change not the same values every time.
Had problems on the dyno with plug wires that fucked up the dyno from noice from the sparkplugs and plugwires..
Had to use R plugs and cosworth plugwires to do the dyno.
Can plugwires be the problem??
Living life sideways
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

You should always use resistor plugs on an EFI car.

I've seen problems on other cars/ecu's where if the HT leads run near the crank/cam triggers it can cause problems. But never seen it on DTA, and the problems were nothing like what is described.
Andreas Norway

Post by Andreas Norway »

stevieturbo wrote:You should always use resistor plugs on an EFI car.

I've seen problems on other cars/ecu's where if the HT leads run near the crank/cam triggers it can cause problems. But never seen it on DTA, and the problems were nothing like what is described.
Im running on R plugs ever since the dyno stevie.
The coil was on top of the engine close to the cranck trigger on the flywheel so i moved it to the front inner fender to see if it helps..
Living life sideways
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The only running issue I ever had with my DTA SS80, again interference related was when there was no case earth option when they first came out.. It didnt change the map settings, but it did cause random misfires when running, as it must have been affecting the crank trigger or something.

Earthing the case sorted it and this was added to the ecu later and included in the instructions.
Andreas Norway

Post by Andreas Norway »

stevieturbo wrote:The only running issue I ever had with my DTA SS80, again interference related was when there was no case earth option when they first came out.. It didnt change the map settings, but it did cause random misfires when running, as it must have been affecting the crank trigger or something.

Earthing the case sorted it and this was added to the ecu later and included in the instructions.
Good to know stevie.
But i cant figure out whats going on..
As in previous quote i relocated the coil so i need to test it..
I did ohm my plug leads to 40 ohms and have heard that it should be much higher then that to prevent rfi and emi problems but i dont know for sure.
Living life sideways
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If you were to leave the laptop plugged in and connected to the ecu whilst driving, does the same problem occur ?

I doubt the problem is the leads themselves, but buying some cheap leads to test is something to try

Are there any specific driving conditions where the problem occurs ? Or totally random ?
Andreas Norway

Post by Andreas Norway »

stevieturbo wrote:If you were to leave the laptop plugged in and connected to the ecu whilst driving, does the same problem occur ?

I doubt the problem is the leads themselves, but buying some cheap leads to test is something to try

Are there any specific driving conditions where the problem occurs ? Or totally random ?
Gonna try to take the pc onboard next weekend.

Leads im using is some stock bosch leads.

It seems to come sooner using launch control.

Tested whit a radio this morning and run a coiltest and the radio did go nuts. I filmed it if u want to see and hear?
Living life sideways