Loom building tips and tricks?

Wiring best practices and loom building technique
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Loom building tips and tricks?

Post by Alex DTA »

Shielded is preferred, but twisted at a minimum.

We use an electric drill and vice to twist sensor wires. Make sure to cut off the bits that have been crimped at either end.
Sonus
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 58

Post by Sonus »

Does anyone have an recommendations for multi pin bulkhead connectors? My car has a fibreglass body on a steel tube frame and I am mounting the ECU inside the car with detachable engine and chassis looms exiting the firewall/bulkhead.
lotusbled
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: eurospeed
Firmware Version: 62.02

Post by lotusbled »

Hi guy's I have sent a message to Alex at DTA regarding the sensor wires but he is having a well deserved rest. So I thought I would post this question on the forum to see
what you guy's think. I made my loom 10 years ago. I followed the wiring diagram, that is I run one 5v red wire from pin #9 and spliced off of it as I passed each sensor (soldered and heat shrink). I did the same when returning with the main ground wire terminating on pin #33. I'm now adding an oil pressure sensor and went back to the wiring diagram and now have noticed a paragraph in which it states,

"All 5 volt and Sensor Gnd connections are equivalent (except Lambda
Gnd). Use the ones which are most suitable for the sensors connected. If
not using twisted pair wire, twist together separate wires a pitch of approx.
2.5 cm"
So I'm to run one 5v and one Gnd wire for each sensor twisted all the way back to the ECU and then somehow join all the 5v sensor wires and all the Gnd wires to a single wire each before going into the ECU???? Thanks to all.
SMR
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

If what you have works, I'd say leave it as-is. Good practice to avoid noise and interference is the twisted pair method stated, but if you're managing with a "ring main" style setup with no issues you should be ok.

I run individual wires from each sensor right back to within a few inches of the ECU connectors, and then splice them together (The 5v and Sensor grnds) for the final few inches into the connector.

Steve
lotusbled
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: eurospeed
Firmware Version: 62.02

Post by lotusbled »

Thanks Steve, my issue is that at the alternator the voltage fluctuates rapidly between 14.29 to 14.21, however the DTA reads 14.1 to 14.8 (fluctuating rapidly).
I'm having idle problems and was thinking that the injectors are not giving steady flow.

Ross