Failed first tune attempt

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
sterlingM
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Failed first tune attempt

Post by sterlingM »

Struggling through our first effort on the dyno.

Needed to increase fuel in a number of areas and when attempting to increase fuel setting in the main fuel map we got an error which read: "max value at this RPM = 14.25"
There was way more fuel injector left and we couldn't figure it out. This would be phase one of my issues, if we are able to get the fuel map to adjust per our request that would be great. At lower points in the RPM range it allowed higher fuel inputs but anything above 5k more or less gave us trouble.

Both the tuner and i felt like there must be some scaling or setting off in the software but were unable to figure it out.

TIA
Dave
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: Failed first tune attempt

Post by Alex DTA »

You need bigger injectors.

At 9000 RPM, the crank rotates once very 6.7 milliseconds. So you have 6.67 x 2 = 13.33 milliseconds of time for the injector to be open, including dead times.
The software calculates the maximum allowed for each RPM, and won't allow a value higher than that.
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

I hear you, but frankly it doesn't make sense for my motor. I'm running Bosch 028 0158 116 injectors (12ohm) which are rated at 330cc or 31.4 lb per hour. My previous motor had 24lb injectors which were more than enough and it was of larger capacity. Furthermore, I know 3 other people with BMW s14 motors running the same Bosch injectors as I am and they have plenty of capacity. It's just a NA 4-cylinder. I run a Bosch 044 fuel pump and fuel pressure we started at 4bar. The injectors are rated for 31.4 lb per hour at 3bar.

Is there somewhere in the software that we can't find in which we input the injector parameters?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

The ECU only needs injector flow for consumption calculation. Does sound odd if others are using same setup. Can you post your map
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

To be clear, where do I enter in injector flow?

I'll a few things. If the AFR was at 11.8 and we reduced the fuel by 5% it would then sometimes jump to 18 or wouldn't allow us to input the numbers we wanted to get the fuel flow correct. We had a lot of inconsistency with the fueling. Unsure of exactly why but trying to figure out if we have a setting issue in the software. We reviewed that coils and injectors are all wired in properly in the 1-3-4-2 pattern which is how the motor fires, seems to run well and work appropriately at lower rpms so if wiring were incorrect we felt it would show at all rpm ranges.
Attachments
IMG_4132.jpg
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

In general engine settings but as already said it is only for consumption calculations. Post the complete map
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Have you got twin injectors selected?
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

Map attached. I do not believe twin injectors are selected
Attachments
DavidRace-001.Map.map
(40.53 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

I can't see anything wrong with that, its the most basic map from the basic map company. If you use the live mapping screen you can see how much injector duration is being used. I suspect your mapper is unfamiliar that's all.
When running the live screen will show you in BLUE where any additional fuel corrections and in RED where any ignition corrections are coming from, the only thing you have active is the map sensor that could be faulty or any of the temp sensors bad readings
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-09-24 160916.png
Last edited by Rob Stevens on Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
katana
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

sterlingM wrote: If the AFR was at 11.8 and we reduced the fuel by 5% it would then sometimes jump to 18.
Query - is this the number you are trying to hit or just a random figure? Only asking as for a NA engine it is REALLY rich - I mean 'fat' rich! Normal tuning usually aims for between 13.2 and 13.6:1 for max power and those are safe numbers. Some of you sensor fail defaults are a bit peculiar - AT @ 50 deg C ? ? ? and TPS @ 99% ie. if the TPS fails you want the ECU to deliver fuel as if at WOT!