Crank sensor offset - getting it right

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Crank sensor offset - getting it right

Post by Rob Stevens »

Hi Steve
Do you have the knobs box? if you don't, make one. Its so easy to find the best timing point as you can use the knob to adjust it. I wouldn't recommend holding at WOT on you engine, do that with sweeps on the dyno to see if it does anything.
My road car idles lovely with sequential and the injection point optimised.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Little bit off topic but whatever - I have a DTA knob box, came with the s/hand S60 i'm using, but for the life of me I can find no information on how it is supposed to be used - not in the manual and scant references on this forum, except often mentions of 'use a knob box for this, that or the other' I think? I get the basics but i'm worried about adjusting stuff that I shouldn't or outside 'safe' parameters, as its only a tool and doesn't know it has an idiot controlling it! This stuff is still largely 'dark arts / voodoo magic' and if it's not intuitive, I struggle to understand what is being said ie. i'm still struggling to correlate the numbers thrown up by the cyl scope traces to angular inputs in the set-up tables!
SMR
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

Katana, I'm in the same boat - I bought a 2nd hand knob box, but can't get it to work. And also couldn't find any info on how to use it.

I enabled "real time mapping" by clicking on "Main display" pull-down menu, which then un-greys-out the "control box options" sub-menu. But clicking on "knobs on/off" or "injection angle" I can't get the knob to change anything.

A basic idiots guide would be great!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

For most part, the knob box is really for steady state dyno tuning.

But IIRC when the knobs are active, the click buttons on screen are not active.

For road tuning etc...the knobs box is of limited use really.
Rob Stevens
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Steve, perhaps your box is faulty if you can't get it to work. On my road car once I get my lambda working perhaps I could do a quick video of how to use it. But perhaps that's something Alex should do?!!!!
SMR
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

Stevieturbo- I had bought the box primarily to use on the dyno, which I appreciate is it's main aim but Rob's suggestion to use it for sweeping the injector angles sounds so much faster than continously typing in different angles, then F4 etc and looking at how the lambda changed.

Rob, I'll open up the box and buzz through the wiring just incase it's buggered.

Cheers