New Install - 1st start

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: New Install - 1st start

Post by Rob Stevens »

You should operate from the TB direct whilst setting up, eliminates linkage issues. Your readings should track movement directly. Most TPS I have used include a small spring to help eliminate slop. Is that is the problem, try packing it out?
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Cheers Rob, The TPS is bolted direct to the TB body, directly on the shaft so no linkages. Looks like a sealed for life unit - no springs that I can feel just track/wiper friction (which isn't much btw)
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

katana wrote:Cheers Rob, The TPS is bolted direct to the TB body, directly on the shaft so no linkages. Looks like a sealed for life unit - no springs that I can feel just track/wiper friction (which isn't much btw)

I presume he means not via the pedal.

Although I would say to do it via the pedal...to ensure it is calibrated it as installed in the vehicle.

But ensuring closed means closed...ie 0% means 0% may require adjustments of any stops at the blade.

And open being open 100% ensuring no carpet is under the pedal, or dodgy cables or linkages etc.

Have seen cars before that appeared fine...but TPS would go fault on occasion. Turned out someone was pressing their foot in the pedal far harder than when whoever did the base setup lol. So fully open went too far over what it expected as 100% and thought there was a fault so applied default value which was much lower, and then the overrun fuel cut kicked in.
SMR
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

I've seen quite a few culvern/jenvey-type TPSs go dodgy and play-up, but If the fully closed/open checks as suggested by others works and transissions smoothly it would appear your TPS is fine.
I'd certainly try another TPS if you have one available.
katana

Post by katana »

stevieturbo wrote:
I presume he means not via the pedal. Seems odd as surely you don't drive that way

Although I would say to do it via the pedal...to ensure it is calibrated it as installed in the vehicle. Exactly

But ensuring closed means closed...ie 0% means 0% may require adjustments of any stops at the blade. The idle throttle stop is backed out so not touching the adjustment lever

And open being open 100% ensuring no carpet is under the pedal, or dodgy cables or linkages etc. Check - carpet is out and underlay well out of the way. I'll probably get 10% less travel when it all goes back LOL!

Have seen cars before that appeared fine...but TPS would go fault on occasion. Turned out someone was pressing their foot in the pedal far harder than when whoever did the base setup lol. So fully open went too far over what it expected as 100% and thought there was a fault so applied default value which was much lower, and then the overrun fuel cut kicked in.
Hi Steve - my thoughts above. I know you said not to, but I've found a NOS OEM type TPS for £15 to swap for the Culven one - it just doesn't feel right to me. Its either my wiring or a dodgy pot. As the wires are colour coded the 1st 'shouldn't' be the issue but can always check again, or the latter which maybe corrected with the substitute. Its the way with electrical components - substitution is sometimes the only way of fault finding / tracing!
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If the wiring is right...it will work.

If wrong, it wont.

In some cases the sweep may invert with some wrong wiring, but not sure if that's a universal trait.

Either way, all you need is a smooth linear scale. It only needs to go up and down as the blade opens and closes. It isnt anything technical or fancy.

You have all the information and voltages in front of view, on a screen...view them ! Not 100% sure if you can graph them or log without the engine running ?

And whilst I am saying do it via the pedal, obviously this also needs a visual check that the blade is indeed at those two open/closed positions when asked. Same as any base setup though whether carbs or injection.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Although you shouldnt need to do this manually ( because you have the info on the laptop screen )...Scanner Danner is always great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KfKfImoIXg
katana

Post by katana »

Ok - one step forward. I got the new FP gauge and tested the Adj. Bosch FPR and as set when running, it was about 34psi and even wound up to the max was just below 40psi. Probably ok but I want 3 bar / 43psi so swapped out to a Webcon 3 bar unit which is spot on 3 bar - who'd thought it would be correct LOL! Now just waiting on the replacement TPS so i'll report back when it lands.