can bad battry cause map to change on next stratup?????

Give input on tuning as well as any tips and tricks you may have. Also feel free to share base mapping files for various engine types.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: can bad battry cause map to change on next stratup?????

Post by stevieturbo »

What coils are you using ? Can you try some different units ?

That isnt a test I've ever carried out before, so no idea if it is a problem or not.

But if you're saying the coil test was with engine off, and no other items being powered then if it really is creating a lot of noise on the radio, then the coils would certainly be worth changing.
Andreas Norway
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: Kl racing

Post by Andreas Norway »

stevieturbo wrote:What coils are you using ? Can you try some different units ?

That isnt a test I've ever carried out before, so no idea if it is a problem or not.

But if you're saying the coil test was with engine off, and no other items being powered then if it really is creating a lot of noise on the radio, then the coils would certainly be worth changing.
Im using a wasted spark coil from mef motorsport.
Jepp coiltest wiht engine off.
The radio goes nuts whit ht leads connected and witout ht leads.
Maybe coil on plug is a thing to try when thats totally noise free??
Can i use vag fsi coil on plug in waste spark mode to trigger them as a wasted spark coil like cyl 1 and 4 together an 2 and 3 together??
Living life sideways
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Andreas Norway wrote:Can i use vag fsi coil on plug in waste spark mode to trigger them as a wasted spark coil like cyl 1 and 4 together an 2 and 3 together??
Yes
Andreas Norway
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: Kl racing

Post by Andreas Norway »

Alex DTA wrote:
Andreas Norway wrote:Can i use vag fsi coil on plug in waste spark mode to trigger them as a wasted spark coil like cyl 1 and 4 together an 2 and 3 together??
Yes
Oki Alex.
But how can i messaure the difference between a amplified and a unamplified vag coil??
Living life sideways
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

Don't know. Easier way: 3 wires are unamplified, 4 wire are amplified. VW only, doesn't apply to other brands.
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Andreas Norway wrote:
Alex DTA wrote:
Yes
Oki Alex.
But how can i messaure the difference between a amplified and a unamplified vag coil??
By measuring the resistance between the pins, an unamplified coil will read a very low resistance between 2 pins, often the 3rd pin is just a ground connection and will have a very high resistance to the other 2 (many unamplified coils only have 2 pins anyway).

On an amplified coil you will never see the primary resistance between any pins, only the resistance of the input of the driver device which will be fairly high in comparison. On an amplified coil you need a ground, drive signal and +12V supply, hence minimum of 3 connections. (Ive no idea why they would ever require 4 pins, maybe a de-coupling capacitor or supressor is on one pin or maybe it provides feedback to the OE ecu?)

hope this helps!

martin
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Correct, feedback of correct firing to the ecu usually.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
MarcoV6T
Firmware Version: 58

Post by MarcoV6T »

The 4 pin amplified coils I've seen(VW) have a separated ground coming from the secondary coil(HT), which in general, is connected to the head. So you have +12V, amplifier & primary ground, signal and secondary ground.
MarcoV6T

Post by MarcoV6T »

As a side note, miss fires are mainly calculated from crankshaft acceleration(with a high resolution crank sensor wheel, like 60-2, running sequential), the ecu knows when it fires which cylinder, if the crankshaft acceleration is not what's expected(to slow), a miss fire error is flagged for that cylinder.

A feedback signal from the coil would require 4-6-8 or more extra inputs to the ecu, additional conditioning and computing, the crankshaft acceleration and speed is already computed and used to run the engine.
MarcoV6T

Post by MarcoV6T »

Still, that doesn't explain your problem Andreas, looks like high EMI interference from the coils, maybe a bad coil pack, or still bad ground to the ECU. Do you have long wires to the coil pack?