Flex fuel sensor

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
maxiice
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 63

Flex fuel sensor

Post by maxiice »

Hi

I am running on E85 now, but i am thinking about installing a flex fuel sensor, Problem is that they very expensive, at least the one that is listed in the S80.

I have also talked to Alex

Hi Geir

We don't support those sensors, we only support the GM sensor. Those will have a different output to the GM sensors.

Kind regards

Alex

The Gm sensor is quite pricey, ranging from 150$ - 800$ and i bet other sensors costing 60$ could do the job if i knew how they would act

If they were working in the same manner i could easily set my own scale for adding or retracting fuel or timing.

Any info or help on this issue please ?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Flex fuel sensor

Post by stevieturbo »

This page suggests there may be a cheaper alternative.

http://www.megamanual.com/flexfuel.htm

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml

The sensor you see used often with other ecu's, and it almost appears Zeitronix may also use it is the Contintental sensor. No idea how it's output compares to the GM sensor though

This test uses a sensor similar to the Contintental

maxiice

Post by maxiice »

Tanks for that :)

I dint find Medimars on ebay, perhaps he is not selling anymore. I would easely pay 50 bucks for a sensor.

I am gonna send a mail to zeitronicks and ask if i can use their sensor,

The video vas very informative :) the zeitronicks only measure gasolin persent and gets confused if you are running E100 or try to measure water.

the search goes on :)
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

If you're emailing, better to ask do the two sensors operate in the same way, and output a similar signal.

If the signal is usable by DTA, you could fix up a test rig and run different mixes through the sensor and see where this falls on the DTA adjustment map.

The numbers may or may not be right, but as long as you know the percentages and where they fall, it would still be usable.
maxiice

Post by maxiice »

Yes that's what i was thinking to..

But browsing thru zeitronicks website i found this :

Note: A flex fuel sensor is not included with purchase of the ECA. Sensors are standard components of many flex fuel vehicles and may be purchased separately at GM dealerships (GM part number 12568450 or 12570260) or directly from our order page.

This must mean that zeitronicks ECA can use GM sensor, and that again should mean that they can be used vise versa ? what do you think ?

This is the actual page http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Just because they can use different sensors, doesnt mean the sensors operate the same way.

It just means their controller is happy with either sensor.

But yes they do list the expensive GM sensor as one they can use, but they also show images and the youtube shows their setup using a different cheaper sensor
ignitionautosport

Post by ignitionautosport »

I am of the opinion that something as critical as a sensor that adjusts your fueling shouldn't be scrimped on. I would use the supported sensor - as much as it hurts the pocket.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
maxiice

Post by maxiice »

stevieturbo wrote:Just because they can use different sensors, doesnt mean the sensors operate the same way.

It just means their controller is happy with either sensor.

But yes they do list the expensive GM sensor as one they can use, but they also show images and the youtube shows their setup using a different cheaper sensor
The sensor output alone with the standard e85 table is not enouf no, it still have to tested and adjusted properly on a dyno.

I have talked to zeitronicks and they do not understand or will confirm this.

Hovever, this seller on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331642669178?ssP ... Track=true

are selling this sensor and with a crossover harness to the GM sensor and claiming it works
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331642669178?ssP ... Track=true
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

can Alex confirm if the DTA wants a 0-5v signal for the sensor return, or is it a more modern frequency based digital sensor ?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

It's more complicated than that, as the frequency indicates the ethanol %, and the pulse width indicates the temperature.

The frequency range is between 50 and 150 Hertz, 50 Hertz indicates 0% ethanol, and 150 Hertz indicates 100% ethanol. 170Hz is a fault.
The pulse width indicates the fuel temperature. The normal pulse width is between 1 and 5 milliseconds, where 1 millisecond indicates -40°C, and 5 milliseconds indicates 125°C.

That's why we only support the GM sensor. It's OEM spec, and proven.