Closed loop boost

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
ZaxosGR
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Distributor: Greece Taxopoulos
Firmware Version: 63

Closed loop boost

Post by ZaxosGR »

Hello every one.
I am using a DTA S60 pro ecu and i am having trouble tuning the pressure by closed loop. if i use % base pwm map it works just fine. but when i try turbo target pressure it all goes to hell... It either doesn't boost at all, tried changing the setting and of the N75 valve and i instantly hit my boost limit of 300 kpa. Does anyone know the correct frequency, pid prop factor etc for the N75 valve to work correctly?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Closed loop boost

Post by stevieturbo »

PID/Prop factor etc will relate to the entire setup, not just the valve.

Upload the map for a look.

But really, the layout of turbo control is a little strange and not easy to understand. especially the closed loop part.

You still need to build a base PWM map to use closed loop, but I cant even figure out the easiest way to configure this.

Ive mine just running open loop TPS vs RPM which is the easiest way

I'll be changing to a different ecu soon as the DTA's boost control and others are just so limited.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Hi, have there been any updates or improvements to the turbo boost control? (S60Pro)
I currently have a crude independent boost control set up, fitted initially for convenience to get everything running.
I fitted the ECU and had it mapped years ago and not touched it since so a little rusty and due for a read up. The car is in bits for other work so want to get boost control enabled on the DTA but reading the above maybe I should go with an improved independent system. I would prefer the DTA to do the control.
Can anyone recommend a PWM solonoid valve and settings to start at for 20psi?
Thanks in advance
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Use either a MAC valve, or a VW N75 valve.

Many, many cars run boost control on our ECUs, even 1200hp drag cars, so it works well, as long as it's set up correctly.
Always map it open loop. Most people stop there.
If you want to run closed loop, you'll then need to start playing with the PID settings. It will probably take a while to get right.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Alex DTA wrote:Use either a MAC valve, or a VW N75 valve.

Many, many cars run boost control on our ECUs, even 1200hp drag cars, so it works well, as long as it's set up correctly.
Always map it open loop. Most people stop there.
If you want to run closed loop, you'll then need to start playing with the PID settings. It will probably take a while to get right.
Thanks Alex, thats good to know and a big help
I will update with my progress once its up and running again.

Jim
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

Agreed, I've mapped mine in open loop which works great, only then you can turn on closed loop

Also try using map instead of tps in the duty table, this works very well because you can reduce the duty once your passed your target boost pressure and have 100% duty everywhere below your target boost pressure (like a real simple closed loop), just make sure the transition is smooth or you'll get oscillations.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Thanks for the information Gnutz2, much appreciated.

Jim
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

I am fitting a MAC valve for the boost control.
Can I check a couple of things with those of you who have fitted them, the wiring at the valve I bought has no pin numbers or colour coding so assume it does not matter which way round it is wired, is this correct?
Before I finish the harness insulating I have it 12V supply one side and Pin 7 (turbo pressure valve) at the DTA power connector to the other side, thanks
Jim

Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

No, it doesn't matter
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »