Crank & cam sensor Buell 1125

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Crank & cam sensor Buell 1125

Post by stevieturbo »

What you are seeing could easily be caused by erratic map sensor readings, and with only 2 cylinders....depending on the sensor arrangement etc that could be very possible.

If you do not have manifold pressure logged here...then I wouldnt be wasting too much time or money chasing anything until you do as it could be as simple as that.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

There are some very strange compensations coming from somewhere. As stevieturbo says, the most likely is MAP.

Do you have a MAP sensor? If not, that's the problem as you haven't zeroed out the MAP compensations.
If you do, please do another log, removing water and air, but adding MAP
blownharley
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 79.02

Post by blownharley »

Hej,

Thanks for your inputs. Yes I have a MAP sensor that I use for adding fuel at boost. I need to do some more logging adding more signals. Is it possible that the pressure fluctuations in the plenum is causing the erratic behaviour of the injector and advance signals? If that's the case, maybe adding a fuel filter between the plenum and the MAP sensor might help to smoothen out the pressure peaks?

I will try to get some better logs this afternoon.

Thanks
Peter
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

blownharley wrote:Hej,

Thanks for your inputs. Yes I have a MAP sensor that I use for adding fuel at boost. I need to do some more logging adding more signals. Is it possible that the pressure fluctuations in the plenum is causing the erratic behaviour of the injector and advance signals? If that's the case, maybe adding a fuel filter between the plenum and the MAP sensor might help to smoothen out the pressure peaks?

I will try to get some better logs this afternoon.

Thanks
Peter
Take any pressure reading off a central plenum, for damping the signal, a MIG tip of 0.6mm works great. I doubt a fuel filter would do very much.

There is an electronic filtering option in the sensor setup too, so you could play with that. But on most ecu's I find the MIG tip works very well vs electronic filtering.

But as a test you could zero all MAP compensations around atmospheric and a little above/below to zero, which should at least mean around the n/a sites manifold pressure wont skew the readings or impact fuel/timing. If they log as stable then you know for sure it is the erratic MAP signal.

Or dampen the signal, same odds really lol
blownharley

Post by blownharley »

So I tried to start up the bike in the cold wheather and it backfired and the plenum separated from the throttle bodies even though it was fastened with set screws together. Need to make this connection stronger!

Oh well, maybe I can get a decent log tomorrow?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

It would also do no harm to log fuel pressure too.

If you are getting lots of pulses in the intake, it could affect fuel pressure too.

It may not actually affect how the vehicle runs though. I had a car a couple of years ago where fuel pressure was oscillating like crazy albeit very fast. You would never have known it driving the car but on logs it looked terrible. A lot of OEM cars run fuel dampers on the line as for some reason different injector types can cause a pulsing. This had been removed and larger injectors/pump was fitted, as well as OEM taking the signal line from a single runner. Even fixing all the bad aspects on the signal line, it was still pulsing.

Annoying, but the customer wasnt wanting to pay to resolve it when there was no issues with how the car performed
blownharley

Post by blownharley »

ANother log without the plenum connected to the throttle bodies. Still have the MAP sensor but the MAP sensor is connected to the plenum and shouldn't affect anything.

The bike still runs really bad in the midrange and the rpm plot looks very strange too me?

Thanks
Peter

Oops, looked at the log an it seems like i have a lot of "noice" from the map sensor. Will disable it and make another run.
Attachments
Logg 2.Dat
Log 2
(473.43 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
blownharley

Post by blownharley »

OK, a new log with the MAP corrections set to 0. Still some problems but slightly better running.
Attachments
Logg 3.Dat
(979.25 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
blownharley

Post by blownharley »

And the MAP used during log 3 above.
Attachments
Buell 1125 Turbo 20170212.map
(42.48 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

So Logg 3 is with the map sensor fitted, but in no way attached to the actual intake manifold ? ie it would really be an atmospheric sensor now ?

If so then the readings are strange too...ie if you are anywhere near sea level you should be close to 100kpa, yours seems to fluctuate between 115-122kpa and for no apparent reason.
I would try upping the filter level to a high value say 45-50 to see what happens, and get a mityvac or similar and test/calibrate so the sensor is reading correctly.

One thing that strikes me as odd is the stepping of the injector pulse widths up and down. Probably not enough to cause any major running issues...but it's weird looking.

There dont appear to be any crank/cam errors....apart from one bit in the middle of Log 2, but I'm guessing the engine maybe stalled there or something ?