Crank & cam sensor Buell 1125

Discuss which Sensors work best with these ECUs and share how you are using inputs and outputs
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Re: Crank & cam sensor Buell 1125

Post by ignitionautosport »

| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Curious that it obviously works with a stock Buell pick-up which is probably a mag / inductive pick-up? Maybe the hall effect is its downfall?
ignitionautosport

Yeah it will be.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

katana wrote:Curious that it obviously works with a stock Buell pick-up which is probably a mag / inductive pick-up? Maybe the hall effect is its downfall?
Works with a stock Buell pickup, sensor and ecu....

So entirely different. It will be a sensor designed to work with the trigger wheel, and an ecu configured to accept the output of the sensor used.

The downfall is using parts not designed to be used with each other.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Steve - if the Buell pick-up works with the stock teeth then I would consider using it! If it is a mag pick-up as most bikes are, it'll give a reliable sine wave output which DTA can use - as proved with other bike engines revving to 13k. Got to be worth a try before carving deeper teeth on an expensive flywheel - if it doesn't then a separate toothed wheel and Hall effect is a next cheapest option?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

katana wrote:Steve - if the Buell pick-up works with the stock teeth then I would consider using it! If it is a mag pick-up as most bikes are, it'll give a reliable sine wave output which DTA can use - as proved with other bike engines revving to 13k. Got to be worth a try before carving deeper teeth on an expensive flywheel - if it doesn't then a separate toothed wheel and Hall effect is a next cheapest option?

The stock pickup works with the stock teeth...and the stock ecu. All 3 are required to be correct. So in this instance, the downfall is the ecu, and lack of user adjustability for trigger levels.
Clearly the wheel and sensor can work...they just wont work with how the DTA is pre-configured.
We as users have no control over what is or is not an acceptable voltage threshold for trigger levels regardless of how good or bad that sine wave appears.

The GT101 as already stated is a bad choice given the tooth measurements, it simply needs more depth to be able to differentiate between the teeth and a gap. A larger air gap may help fix that, or it might not. But the sensor specs for the GT101 are pretty clear and it does ask for a 5mm minimum tooth depth. That wheel looks nowhere near that, so it would be a good place to start.
The wheel is already there, it's fitted, sensor is fitted...so as long as there is no harm making the teeth deeper, there can be no risk from doing so. IMO there can only be positives.

The LS3-7 etc crank sensor is a proven sensor at high rpm on the large diameter 60-2 wheel, so should be able to cope easily with the smaller wheel, much lower tooth despite the higher rpm. But I dont know again how happy it will be at that same shallow tooth depth.

You could try various VR sensors too...I'm sure some will output higher voltages at low speeds than others.

I still use a DTA 36-1 wheel on my engine, with the Ford sensor I've used for years. But cranking voltages are only something like 0.5v peak to peak at cranking speeds. I've had a couple of different sensors over the years, different makes and I'm sure I've seen different voltages returned. Again this is only visible with a scope, or in my case it's readily viewable on my Syvecs,

As an example, this is a recent start log from crank to run, you can see how low the voltages are during cranking on mine.
That said, the same trigger setup always worked perfectly on my DTA too. But it would be nice to see an actual scope trace when any of the sensors to see where any problems might lie.
DTA's scope trace obviously does offer some information....some. Or if problems did occur at higher rpm, if it could automatically capture a brief shot of the trace too to help identify where the problem might be
S8 synclog.jpg
ignitionautosport

Silly question, but you did make sure the polarity was correct to suit the DTA when you tried the mag sensor? I recall you can only have the missing tooth signal rising, I think? Double check my info is right, and from that trace it is rising but thought I should mention it.

I would have thought the hardware conditioning in DTA would "just work", I've used hardware converter from Autronic many moons ago when the Haltech couldn't filter the signal properly using software... hmm.

edit: nevermind, re-read the thread as it's been a while lol. Curious.