ALS Advice

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: ALS Advice

Post by stevieturbo »

LOL, so there was method in the madness.

I can see the point too....but that's where user support comes in.

But I can only imagine some of the stupid questions he's had over the years, it would drive me mental too, and he knows a hell of a lot more about the ecu's than anyone.
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Yeah I can understand that - however those of us who've never had to call him would like more freedom for sure haha - only on the auxilary functions, not the core ones obviously.

I do find it amusing some ECU have the "we have 10 inputs you can configure however you like!" however you quickly realise you still need certain things (MAP,TPS,ECT,IAT,CKP,ETC) which means they don't have to be on a free input - so really it's just marketing garbage and you're only left with a couple of spare analogue inputs anyway.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Obviously a new ecu would be great, direct injection would have a market etc etc.

But there is still a lot more room for improvement within the existing hardware which is still very popular.

IMO if the hardware actually allow it, it's a no brainer to open up the I/O's for more flexibility, and also divorce certain functions/features again to give more flexibility.
Many of these requests where aired some time ago, and I did email them to Allan nearly 2-3 years ago after a good list was compiled on this forum.

In short..

Divorce ALS from MAP 2 and create a proper ALS function, as this is relevant to this thread

Divorce the Ana/Aux settings so they can be used as proper independent items.

Free at least some of the inputs and outputs for flexible usage, giving outputs at least a basic user configurable 3d table.

Those things alone suddenly give the ecu a lot more power.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Interesting feedback, and gratefully received. It is all being taken on board, but I have no plans to make any sweeping changes this year.
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Throttle Jack

Post by gnutz2 »

Ok, I've bought a solenoid off ebay and been doing a little fettling after work, this will hold the throttle open and let it close again when egt gets too high on ana2 input. Unfortunately it can't push the throttle open (would need air for that) but thats no real problem.