I may have killed my E48

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Cartoony
ECU Model: No ECU
Firmware Version: 22.3

I may have killed my E48

Post by Cartoony »

I made a rookie error & connected the battery the wrong way round & then tried to start the car. (2L Zetec on Webers if that's relevant)

I am fairly sure I've fried the alternator but I think I may have killed the ECU too.

I have disconnected the alternator.

When I turn on the ignition the fuel pump runs for 3 seconds, which I understand is controlled by the ECU, so that's a positive sign.

When I try to start the car I get no spark however when I release the starter key I get one spark which ignites all the fuel in the exhaust (with a big bang).

I tried to connect to the ECU with my PC, it can see that the ECU is online but asks for a PIN, however the pin does not work. In the title bar the map name is just random characters, not the name I gave the map (Carb6750).

I have a backup of the map however I can’t connect to the ecu and unlock it because of the PIN.

I understand there is an override pin which will reset the ECU. As I have a backup of the map this presumably is my best option. Does anybody know how I reset the ECU to factory please, or have any other suggestions for things I can try.

This is fairly urgent because there is an E48 currently up for sale so the opportunity of a like-for-like replacement currently exists!

Thank you in advance
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Re: I may have killed my E48

Post by Alex DTA »

If it's asking for a pin, the ECU is fine.
Email office@dtafast.co.uk and we'll explain how to override the pin on an E48.
Cartoony

Post by Cartoony »

Thanks Alex, I hope you are right! Email sent.
Cartoony

Post by Cartoony »

Amazing support from Alex at DTA, map was corrupted but it seems that the ECU itself survived, & the map has now been reloaded & the car started.
Thank you so much.