Honda B16A ignition coil burned out

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
AndyRX8
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 82.10

Re: Honda B16A ignition coil burned out

Post by AndyRX8 »

Good Morning all.
Sorry that I'm just getting in touch now. Thanks to such a strange virus, the whole family can be at home at the moment......I could throw up!
Well, I hope it will continue next week.....

I installed a new trigger wheel 36-1 on the crankshaft. I also have two sensors that run in the original distributor (one cam and four cams). During the last test I could finally see a value under CAM 1 Sig Tooth in the diagnostic display, the one cam was connected. Flywheel mode is 26. But since the engine was cold and I forgot to charge the battery overnight, the engine didn't start. I would like to drive with the COP's, the car is used exclusively in rallying and I would like to try to get the maximum performance ;).
How or to whom can I upload and show my program? Maybe someone could take a look? And maybe someone has a basic card for me, so I can try it with it? All the maps that are stored do not correspond to my engine characteristics. Do you understand what i mean?
As soon as I'm allowed back into the workshop, I'll keep you posted on the new progress.

Best regards
Andreas
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Post a reply using the 'Advanced Reply' option below the text area. This has a file header that says 'Attachments' - use that to attach the MAP file you are trying to use - either download / save the one in the ECU or whatever you've created on your PC. As long as its the DTA created MAP file someone / anyone can open it, vet it and hopefully advise later.
AndyRX8

Post by AndyRX8 »

Hello katana.
Thank you for your support.

I tried it, see attachment/ picture. It did not work. I don't understand why, the file, see the second picture with a blue background, is correct. Or?

Best regards
Andreas
Attachments
Screenshot (12).png
Screenshot (11).png
Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

You may need to zip the config file, first, many forums will limit what file extensions you can upload. Saving as a zip file, then uploading generally works.
AndyRX8

Post by AndyRX8 »

Hello Gadgetman.
Thank you, seems to be working.

FYI, I played around a lot. I'm only concerned with the basic settings so that the engine runs properly at idle. So please don't rip my head off if anything is completely wrong ;). If you have any questions, just get in touch. Just an example regarding the Main Ignition Map. For me it was just a matter of getting it started and idling. Last time I didn't get the car because the battery was too weak. Hence these strange values, got this information here from the forum, so before going.🙈

So please bear with me.

Best regards
Andreas
Attachments
Honda CRX 07.02.2022.zip
(3.06 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
AndyRX8

Post by AndyRX8 »

Good Morning all.

So, I can leave the house again...isn't it nice, this virus.....well, it doesn't matter.

I thought again about the trigger wheel and the TDC sensor. Does this have an effect on how the engine runs, see attached picture of a previous comment from me (degree disc and drawn position from the sensor)? Currently I entered 100 degrees but the motor runs at 260 degrees. How does the control unit calculate the position or what is the reference point? I can't shake the feeling it matters with this engine because it spins anti-clockwise. Shouldn't I then mathematically go into the red? Do you understand what i mean? I measured the position exactly as it was said in another chat here on the forum. That's where I get to 100 degrees BTDC, see attached picture. But because of the other direction of rotation, that's not the case. How is that calculated by the control unit or am I thinking wrongly?

If I can still do it today, I'll drive to the workshop afterwards.

Thanks and best regards
Andreas
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Sorry about the attachment thing - odd requirement that a website dedicated to EFI can't natively upload map. files ! ! !

Anyway - don't want to sound harsh but have you read (and understood) the DTA manual? I had a look at the map. file you uploaded and you've ticked '2 stroke' mode, using tooth pattern 26 but not including info on cam wheel and I think the teeth before TDC is incorrect. I referred to the manual and each of these items is pretty well spelled out - page 100 on. Need to get the basic settings right first, then do a DTA oscilloscope trace check - this will give numbers that DTA 'thinks' are correct.
AndyRX8

Post by AndyRX8 »

Hi, everyone.

So, a new synopsis.

@Katana, unfortunately it's the wrong file, sorry. Criticism is always good, at least I don't get it wrong ;) and yes, I've read the manual, not just once. I also have a translation here but sometimes it's hard to understand. But I try my best.😉

So, in any case, I'm starting again today from scratch. Compression required, ok. Timing checked, ok. All cables checked, ok. Cable assignment COIL Zyl1>10; Cyl2>26;Cyl3>18;Cyl4>1 correct? Cable assignment injector Cyl1>9;Cyl2>25;Cyl3>17;Cyl4>34 Correct? Crank Sensor > 12 and Cam Sensor > 22 correct? I think that's all correct.
Then used the oscilloscope with flywheel mode 26 and noticed that the "fire point" moved. I then tried Fjywheel Mode 24 because I could use two CAM sensors and tried the one with 4 cams here. "Firepoint" wandered again. Put everything back and worked with Flywheel Mode 26 again. Suddenly I was able to sensibly shoot down with the stroboscope. The engine did not start at sensor position or at TDC position. There were brief moments that he wanted but couldn't. I then tried to adjust the fuel via Start Fueling Map, no success. I set the main ignition map to zero degrees to check it with the stroboscope and it should also start when I change Firing Tooth on Startup.
Did I miss something or do something wrong? If someone had a good base map for a B16A, I might have been helped.

If you need any further information, just let us know.

Thanks and best regards
Andreas
Attachments
Honda CRX 15.02.2022.2ter.zip
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
AndyRX8

Post by AndyRX8 »

Still attachments
Attachments
CRX.15.02.2022.Zündkerze.Zyl1.jpg
CRX.15.02.2022.Modus26.jpg
CRX.15.02.2022.jpg
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Cranking with no plugs and one plug shows a good cam trace. 36-1 with single cam pulse, so flywheel mode 0. Sequential on or off, your choice.
When you have all the plugs in, the cam pulse gets noisy.
I would start with sequential off, and then take a crank scope with the engine idling to check if the cam pulse is clean.
If it is, you can delay sequential injection until the cam pulse is clean.