Wasted Spark activation / configuration / Beru ZSE 003

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
millivanilli
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Wasted Spark activation / configuration / Beru ZSE 003

Post by millivanilli »

Hello DTA fans,

after a lot of problems with my VW Typ 4 2,4L engine (oil leakage / fuel leakage / problems with the triggerwheel), I'm nearly ready to start the engine for the first time.

But for the correct configuration of the firing and the coil pack, I need your help.

I've installed a Beru ZSE 003 coil pack and hope that I've conncted it right to the engine and the ECU.
717q7TSMlYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Can you give me information, if I need the external coil amp in the general engine settings activated or not ?

And how can I configure it in DTA S Win, that there is a wasted spark coil pack connected to the outputs for cylinder 1 an cylinder 2 ?

I hope, you can give me the missing part of the puzzle, which I need to start my engine for the first time ....
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Wasted Spark activation / configuration / Beru ZSE 003

Post by stevieturbo »

That coil does require "external amps" box to be checked.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

And you just connect each TDC cylinder pair to the relevant coil towers If the coil is marked, it's likely for the more common 1342 where 1 and 4 would be a pair, and 2 and 3 would be a pair
millivanilli
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by millivanilli »

Thanks for your answer.
So I've connected the coil in the right way and set the right box.

But can you answer me also the question, if I have to activate wasted spark in the DTA Software, or do the S60 check by themselve how many cables are connected ?

Two in my case or if single coil for every cylinder is used ?
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

You just connect ecu outputs 1 and 2 to the coil, you don't need to use twin spark as the coil provides the spark for cly 1 and 4 (firing order) from output 1
Unless you have 2 plugs per cylinder?

'Two in my case or if single coil for every cylinder is used ?' Yes