Help with timing light

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Help with timing light

Post by stevieturbo »

And have you tried turning off COP, and enabling twin spark instead ?
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

sterlingM wrote:I have confirmed that i have 12v at the coil (12v supply) during cranking. At pins 1, 10, 18, and 26 on the ECU plug I do not have voltage. I have those wires coming straight off the coils to the pins on the ECU plug. Do I need to splice them in to 12v as well so they show 12v at the ECU plug? i should note that the wiring for the coils I have calls for a +5v igntion timing signal. I don't want to run +12v to those signal pins and mess up my coils.

In contrast the injectors that are on the same ECU plug show 12v both during cranking and not.

Thanks
Coils are open collector, so 12v signal is fine.

What 5v signal are you using?
sterlingM
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by sterlingM »

Yes, the plugs fire in test mode.

I have the Toyota coil plug on the left. I've wired the left pin to +12v in the same splice as the injectors, IGT straight to the pins at the ECU plug (1, 10, 18, 26), IGF is left open, and the grounds are spliced together to a common ground in the engine bay.
COP Pinout.jpg
I have these coils:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP ... UTF8&psc=1

External coil amp box is ticked per Alex's recommendation earlier. One coil per plug is ticked. According to the crank scope I have a working cam sensor (I think). I think I answered all the questions. I checked the IGT pin at the coil at it never gets voltage during cranking.

This is my first time wiring and working with a standalone EMS so I appreciate your help getting it going. I still feel like i have a setting wrong in the software because I can't figure that I've run the wires wrong.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Who has told you how to connect those coils ?

What does IGF and IGT actually mean ?

And you haven't stated where you are getting a 5v trigger from ?
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

How to connect these coils? As in the wiring? I have 5 other friends running them on different ECU’s. Emtron, Link, Vipec and MoTeC.

IGT is the ignition timing signal and IGF is the ignition return signal which is only
Used in a diagnostic system so a code scanner could read if a coil is or is not working.

I’m not getting a +5v trigger! I frankly assumed the ECU would provide the signal to the signal pin and send the power as part of the signal pulse. If I’m wrong then I just have to bring in voltage to the signal plug too, but need to know which source to supply from so I don’t blow anything.
SMR
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by SMR »

The DTA ECU's don't output the 12v to drive the coils & injectors; the signal wires come from the coils (and injectors) and the ECU grounds them. So you'll need to sort out a suitable 12v supply to drive your coils - ensuring it's powered up during cranking as well.

If this is a new installation that hasn't worked yet, I suggest starting off getting it running in wasted spark/batch first. This needs you to un-tick "One coil per plug" and tick "twin spark".
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

if it works in test mode what is the issue? it wont start?
Ignore sequential settings for now turn all that and cop settings off, turn twin spark on
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

sterlingM wrote:How to connect these coils? As in the wiring? I have 5 other friends running them on different ECU’s. Emtron, Link, Vipec and MoTeC.

IGT is the ignition timing signal and IGF is the ignition return signal which is only
Used in a diagnostic system so a code scanner could read if a coil is or is not working.

I’m not getting a +5v trigger! I frankly assumed the ECU would provide the signal to the signal pin and send the power as part of the signal pulse. If I’m wrong then I just have to bring in voltage to the signal plug too, but need to know which source to supply from so I don’t blow anything.

Why are you saying there is no coil trigger ? You say the coils work in test mode....so clearly they are getting a trigger ? Or have you tested this with a scope to state there is some other trigger, or none ?

Upload your map.

Turn one coil per plug OFF.

Turn twin spark on, and then crank the engine.

Check diagnostic screen during the various processes and report back or screenshot.
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

Twin spark activated with coil on plug turned off and I now have a working timing light. I've also reactivated coil on plug and turned off twin spark and have it working in that mode as well. I will start it for the first time in a couple of days, need one more fuel hose fitting from the store and will report back. I'm not 100% sure if I have a better HT lead connection today than previous days or if some of the software settings I changed did the trick but I have it working and I can keep chugging along. I plan to have it at the tuner very soon!

Now I have to get the timing right and keep moving. Thanks for the help thus far.