E48 laptop query

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
Jp69
ECU Model: No ECU

E48 laptop query

Post by Jp69 »

Finally had time to get my project up and running due to this lockdown. I bought an old e48 ecu and loom which came with 2 laptop leads. They were both joined together when I purchased it from the previous owner. Is this the way its meant to be? Also it looks like I'm going to have to find an old laptop as the leads are the old printer type connections. A friend said that i will have to find a laptop that runs windows xp in order for me to download the software from the dta website. Any help would be much appreciated thanks
stevieturbo

Re: E48 laptop query

Post by stevieturbo »

Jp69 wrote:Finally had time to get my project up and running due to this lockdown. I bought an old e48 ecu and loom which came with 2 laptop leads. They were both joined together when I purchased it from the previous owner. Is this the way its meant to be? Also it looks like I'm going to have to find an old laptop as the leads are the old printer type connections. A friend said that i will have to find a laptop that runs windows xp in order for me to download the software from the dta website. Any help would be much appreciated thanks
Well give us some sort of clue as to what leads you have.
Jp69

Post by Jp69 »

Sorry I've not got them infront of me at the moment. I think they are called comms leads. Like the old printer connections with the 2 little screws that you hand tighten
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

seriously ?

Have you any idea how many different leads are out there in the world ? You could have been given anything.

A picture would help, or at least proper description, number of pins, M/F connector ? layout of pins ?

And it is very unlikely you need XP.

Although depending on FW version in the ecu, and ecu age, will depend which software version may be needed.
Jp69

Post by Jp69 »

Cheers steve I'll get some more details tomorrow when I'm back in the garage
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

Firstly I don't believe the OP has a Printer port plug - these were Parallel port connections 24 or 25? pin and DTA wouldn't accept them anyway. I believe the OP is referring to Serial port plugs which are the 'gold standard' if the laptop or PC as a corresponding port on the motherboard - as DTA was designed to accept them and it avoids the potential 'flakey' USB connections that sometimes occur. BUT to use them, you are limited to a XP operating system as anything newer doesn't recognise serial connections. There are PCIe add in cards that take Serial connections but are hit & miss whether they will work with DTA.

I'm steadfastly holding on to my trusty Dell laptop - still running XP and has a serial port just for whenever I can get the car to a point where it needs the ECU to actually work - a few months away yet. Question is - i've a knobs box as well so would you choose direct lappy to ECU or Lappy / Box / ECU for tuning preference?
Jp69

Post by Jp69 »

I'm not sure how to post pictures on here, but I have the leads infront of me!
White lead which fits into the ecu that has 15 pins(male)
Other end of white lead 15 pins(female)
Then plugs into black lead
Black lead 15 pins (male)
Other end of black lead (female) this is what I assume plugs into a laptop. This has 9 pins (4 ontop of 5)
These leads came with the ecu a few years ago, and were already plugged into eachother.

Katana
Thanks for the info, I was told that so I will start hunting around for an old lappy still running windows xp
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Sounds like someone is maybe bodging together a lead of some sort.

Didn't know that about newer versions of windows, it's been that long since I used a serial port lol

If you have a more modern laptop, no big deal. The USB adapters can work..but yes the best solution is a direct serial port, as the USB adapters can be hit or miss.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Ok, so you need either an old pc (unlikely) or a newer machine and 'usb to serial port adapter' look for the word prolific, or buy from DTA.

Will the black lead not fit the ecu connector? white lead looks like an extension lead.
Jp69

Post by Jp69 »

Rob stevens yes it does. Now I feel even more stupid lol.
So to recap, i need a laptop with the comms lead port and has to still be running xp?