Bosch 3 pin idle valve on S100 & twin vanos BMW

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
zdrafko51
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Bosch 3 pin idle valve on S100 & twin vanos BMW

Post by zdrafko51 »

Rob Stevens wrote:I would suggest using the 20x14 base table for the idle, but put some sensible figures in it first, no more than 30 deg. In my experience it brings the idel rpm down softly once the PID loop has control.
But before you try and rely on this control you must have a stable hot idle with around 4 deg ignition.
It's actually easier to set up than type how to do it.
My car (Elise K series) will start and idle solid from stone cold without touching the throttle
As I wrote I have stable idle on 2, 3, 4, what ever degree of advance you want, only rpm will change.
zdrafko51

Post by zdrafko51 »

Alex DTA wrote:What RPM is the car idling at?
I ask as the max control for idle is 1290 RPM. If your car idles close to this when cold, it could be momentarily rising above this, so the PID will zero itself.

I would recommend using the 20x14 (3d) base map. This will give you complete control over what the base idle ignition should be, and help the PID loop.
At the moment it only has the main ignition map to work off, which is the same no matter what the engine temperature.
In addition the timing reduces as RPM reduces at 0% TPS, so that won't help either.
I have tried from 900 to 1050 and there is no difference, 1200 rpm is set when cold -10° to 20°C. I will try with 20x14 base map.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Ok, so what is your idle TPS position in % ?
zdrafko51

Post by zdrafko51 »

Rob Stevens wrote:Ok, so what is your idle TPS position in % ?
Do you mean real physicaly or in DTA settings, in Dta settings is 0%.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Perfect, turn on the base idle map with say 30 deg, check if the pid control has enough freedom to operate, read up on how the pid controller works. The proportional % does the bulk of the work
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Just to clarify, when the engine is at idle and you are on line to the ECU in the real time display the TPS says 0%? Sorry if this sounds pedantic, just that you mention settings, it isn't a number you enter anywhere or can set as such
zdrafko51

Post by zdrafko51 »

Rob Stevens wrote:Just to clarify, when the engine is at idle and you are on line to the ECU in the real time display the TPS says 0%? Sorry if this sounds pedantic, just that you mention settings, it isn't a number you enter anywhere or can set as such
Yes, I configure it to be 0% ( I calibrated TPS this way) and in live tuning it sits perfect on 0%, because of my problem with lean condition my next tps cell is 1% and I would notice if it would drift. I had once bad TPS that was drifting but this one is ok. Would you post your PID settings and base map 20x14 table, or send me on email zprhuda"AT"gmail.com? I would like to see someone configuration of advance idle control, English is not my native language so maybe I misunderstood some settings, and I can not express myself in best way. Just to say I am electrical engineer and I have configured previously PID control for heating and other stuff and it was successful :-). But here I see that there is something that I misunderstood.
zdrafko51

Post by zdrafko51 »

Thank you all, I have made base map and max rpm for idle control set on 1450 and now it is working perfect.
Rob Stevens

Post by Rob Stevens »

Brilliant, post up your final settings for the benefit of others please