STC on BMW S54 engine, help with setup request

This section is dedicated to discussion of DTA engine control units such as the DTA E48 EXP, P8 Pro, DTA S40, S60, S80, and S100, as well as all things ECU related.
mefmotorsport
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: Mefmotorsport
Firmware Version: 79

STC on BMW S54 engine, help with setup request

Post by mefmotorsport »

Hi All,

I have a customer who has a BMW S54 engine running an S100 with an STC and an E46 throttle pedal. The wiring loom was made by myself. I have wired the STC up as per the DTA wiring diagram but the actuator doesn't move with the pedal at all at this stage. I did do a test after finishing building the loom and was unable to get it working at that stage but I assumed this was due to the ecu not getting any crank pulses, is I thought maybe the actuator wouldn't open the throttle until the engine was starting to run. Now I'm thinking that it should?

Now he has the engine installed in the car and its now up and running the actuator still doesn't work. We have an error message in the STC software that says "CAN link failure" and "Butterfly mismatch". Ive just realised that in " electronic pedal settings" we should have "DTA throttle pedal installed" ticked. maybe that's relevant? Also should we have "electronic pedal safety check enabled" ?

The car in question is in North Wales and the owner has no experience of the DTASwin software for the ECU or the STC so I can only talk him through the settings at present but hopefully I'll soon be able to access it using teamviewer.

This is my first time dealing with an STC so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Re: STC on BMW S54 engine, help with setup request

Post by Alex DTA »

Yes, both those options must be ticked.
Make sure you upload the BMW E46 STC map.
Then you need to set tbrottle stops as normal, and again for the pedal.
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Thanks Alex,
Do I need to have “normal can stream” enabled. Would you expect the STC to work the throttle actuator independently of any of any ecu settings? ie completely stand alone ? I’m wondering why I’m getting “can link failure” too.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA

Post by Alex DTA »

CAN Link Failure is either because:
- you haven't ticked the box, so the ECU doesn't send any CAN information to the STC, as it doesn't know it's there.
- there's a CAN wiring issue

The STC won't work without the ECU, it's a safety feature.

The Standard CAN Stream does not need to be on.
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Thanks Alex, so which specific box do you mean that I mightn’t have ticked?

Cheers
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

Today, somehow, hes got rid of the CAN link failure, we dont know why or what fixed it. Maybe it was because when he switched it on and opened the TC software it asked for a map to be loaded so he loaded the BMW E46 one. Anyway now the only outstanding red warning is "Pedal/Butterfly mismatch" We can see that the pedal is giving out 2 the 2 voltages and they both vary when you press the pedal but we don't know why there is a pedal/butterfly mismatch. When he sets the throttle stops in the fly by wire setting the voltage doesnt respond to the pedal so the set throttle stops probably fails.
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

We might have just made some progress: the STC wiring diagram shows Pedal pot 2 on pin 25 but on the BMW E46 pedal connector pinout it states that this should also be connected across to the ECU ANA1 input, pin 10. We dont have this connection in the loom, ANA1 is actually wired to a connector for future traction control signals (currently not used), this could be the problem! I wired the loom as per the wiring diagram and I never spotted the comment in the BMW pedal connector pinout or the bit in the operating manual that states its necessary!

From the STC manual:
4) The engine ECU must have a pedal sensor connected to the Ana1 input to enable independent checking of match between requested throttle angle (the pedal) and actual angle (the butterfly). This is a vital safety feature. If any fault goes undetected by the controller or the controller cannot shut the butterfly for whatever reason the engine ECU can implement a severe RPM limit at 1750 RPM to give time for the driver to take the appropriate action.
mefmotorsport

Post by mefmotorsport »

All sorted now, the problem was the missing wire from the STC pin 25 that should be paralleled with the Pedal Pot 2 signal and go off to the ECU Ana1. (missing from the wiring diagram)

Thanks,

Martin