B16A1 Map/TPS Issue?

Post maps up for others to get them going in the right direction. DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. CONFIRM VALUES!
Chappb
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: Watsons Wakefield

B16A1 Map/TPS Issue?

Post by Chappb »

Hi guys.
I have a Honda B16A1 Powered classic Mini which is running a DTA S40 Pro. I completed the project last year and have run it on a base map preloaded by Watsons when i bought the ECU Kit from them. The car ran fine until i started having issues with throttle hesitation around 3000rpm under light load so from that point i changed multiple things to try and correct the issue (TPS Sensor and Plug, Ignition Coil, HT Leads, Injectors professionally cleaned and resealed, Fuel filter cleaned) None of this aided the problem. From there i decided to get it on a local hub dyno owned by a friend to see if we could check the map, aided by another acquaintance whom is pretty savvy with mapping. We had a good 6 hours on the dyno trying to tweak things but eventually ran into an issue with what would seem to be the TPS giving a strange reading.
We did pulls upto 8000rpm and whilst watching the live mapping on DTASwin with the Throttle Position window open during the pulls, foot flat to the floor and showing Throttle Position reading 100% during the pull, from around 5000rpm all the way to 8000rpm, the throttle position starts to drop off gradually to around 75% which obviously in turn is fuelling the engine totally wrong. We checked for any electrical noise that could possibly be affecting the TPS, fitted a bigger gauge engine earth strap and also traced the wiring to make sure the sensor grounds were back to the ECU to make sure they were running at the required 5v. This all seemed to be in order so did another pull and the same result is happening.

Sorry for babbling on, i've tried to explain the issue as best as i can, but i myself am not the best with the mapping and software! Haha. But if anyone can shine any light on this or tell us that we are missing something then any help will be much appreciated!
I put in the title if anyone has a B16A1 map to share then i would greatly appreciate this just so i can get the car running better than it is at the moment, as the modified map is now pretty rubbish.

Cheers, Ben.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Re: B16A1 Map/TPS Issue?

Post by katana »

When you replaced the TPS, did you re calibrate the software? The DTA may be reading your 100% WOT as outside the 'known' limits and so is defaulting to its 'safe' setting?
Chappb

Post by Chappb »

I never recalibrated it no...i have zeroed the TP in DTASwin on the 'Throttle stops' page. It saved the new positions fine and recognises where 0 and 100 is, is there somewhere i can turn off this 'safe' setting?
Cheers.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Chappb wrote:I never recalibrated it no...i have zeroed the TP in DTASwin on the 'Throttle stops' page. It saved the new positions fine and recognises where 0 and 100 is, is there somewhere i can turn off this 'safe' setting?
Cheers.
What "safe" setting ?

And setting the closed and fully open throttle positions is calibrating the throttle stops.
katana

Post by katana »

stevieturbo wrote:
What "safe" setting ?

And setting the closed and fully open throttle positions is calibrating the throttle stops.
I thought that DTA has 'error' zones at the extremes of the TPS movement ie. when the systems says 'outside limits', and treats this as a failed sensor and defaults to the settings noted on General Config page? - is this not so?
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

katana wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:
What "safe" setting ?

I thought that DTA has 'error' zones at the extremes of the TPS movement ie. when the systems says 'outside limits', and treats this as a failed sensor and defaults to the settings noted on General Config page? - is this not so?
Most ecu's do similar.

That isnt a "safe" setting as such. It could be a dangerous setting too if the user chooses it badly lol
katana

Post by katana »

Ok, bad wording on my part - 'Limp Home' would have been better, but as said, a user setting of max throttle fuelling for a default isn't sensible!
Chappb

Post by Chappb »

Sorry it's been a while. The car has sat helplessly for the last month or so but i'm just unsure of where to go with it next really...So does anyone have a B16 Map that they would be willing to share? I guess this is going to be a last resort for me before i load the original base map back in and try again from there to try and determine the reason for the hesitation. This is the only real reason i couldn't use the car before and in practice when the hesitation is absent, it pulls and drives spot on throughout the rev range - regardless of the TPS issue.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers, Ben.
katana

Post by katana »

Not quick or easy but you could try using MAP sensor to measure load to eliminate the TPS? Its not great (IMO) with NA engines but would work?