Start map for BMW S14 needed

Post maps up for others to get them going in the right direction. DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. CONFIRM VALUES!
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: Start map for BMW S14 needed

Post by Rob Stevens »

Looks like you have s60 not s40 so you just need to wire all 4 outputs to the 4 x cops
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

katana wrote:
sterlingM wrote:Thanks Alex -- I am converting to coil on plug, so cam sensor is required. I appreciate the response!
Nope - wasted spark is Crank trigger only! Pair 1&4 to ignition output #1 and pair 2&3 to ignition output #2, although maybe best to run them via an ignition amplifier as parallel connection lowers the COP o/all resistance so drawing hi amps.
4 cylinders, 4 coils. Just wire as per instructions. Nothing needs paired.
katana
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

stevieturbo wrote:
Don't doubt what you say but query why amps are included to drive low ohm COPs when you can't similarly drive low ohm Injectors?
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

katana wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:
Don't doubt what you say but query why amps are included to drive low ohm COPs when you can't similarly drive low ohm Injectors?
Wot ?

One has nothing to do with the other.
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Indeed, just accept that low impedance injectors are not supported
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

katana wrote:
sterlingM wrote:Thanks Alex -- I am converting to coil on plug, so cam sensor is required. I appreciate the response!
Pair 1&4 to ignition output #1 and pair 2&3 to ignition output #2, although maybe best to run them via an ignition amplifier as parallel connection lowers the COP o/all resistance so drawing hi amps.
Never pair coils.
If you pair unamplified coils, the ECU may not be able to provide the current required, and you will blow the coil drivers.
If you pair amplified coils, the ECU will not be damaged, but the coils may not fire. A pull up is sometimes required. This should only be done if there are more cylinders than outputs, such as a 6/8 cylinder on an S60.

This is a 4 cylinder, and there are 4 outputs, just use them.
The ECU will run fire all 4 coil outputs properly with Twin Spark checked. No need for a cam sensor.

In summary:
Always wire all 4 coils and injectors to separate outputs.
The ECU will always run the four injector outputs correctly, whether that's semi-sequenital or fully sequential.
If you have coil on plug and no cam sensor, turn on Twin Spark. This runs the coils as wasted spark.
If you have a cam sensor, turn on One Coil Per Plug. This runs the coils sequentially.

The system is designed this way so that changing from wasted spark/semi-sequential injection to fully sequential requires no wiring changes.
It also allows COPs to be run with no cam sensor.
katana

Post by katana »

Alex DTA wrote:Never pair coils.
If you pair unamplified coils, the ECU may not be able to provide the current required, and you will blow the coil drivers.
Ok - apologies for the bum steer re pairing COP's :oops: but your statement needs some explaining, please - to me at least, as I know of many people who pair up COP's in a wasted spark situation on bikes particularly, that run fine - either wired parallel or series! This is with 'simple' ignition systems that can struggle with coils less than their stock 3 ohm rating? :?:
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

You can certainly make them work, but they will be far from optimal. If you don't know what you're doing, you can easily fry the coil injectors.
I'm surprised running them in parallel actually works, unless they are amplified coils. I would expect the current draw to be too high for the coil drivers to supply dumb coils.
Maybe bike cylinder pressures aren't that high? I've never really looked. Or maybe the coils don't require much primary current to charge.

I had a customer doing Hayabusa's on an S40, wiring the coils in series to keep the current draw down. He increased the coil on time as much as he could without damaging the ECU. Just couldn't make the power everyone else was.
I told him to do one on an S60, and he found 20hp (well over 10%) simply because the coils weren't charging properly.
Just because they are working, doesn't mean they are optimised.

Amplified coils can be done fairly easily, but the number of support queries I've dealt with simply because the coils won't fire means I always suggest not doing it.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Why would anyone pair up 4 coils to create a wasted spark with 4 coils, when there are 4 outputs ? That makes no sense.
katana

Post by katana »

stevieturbo wrote:Why would anyone pair up 4 coils to create a wasted spark with 4 coils, when there are 4 outputs ? That makes no sense.
Sometimes you don't have 4 outputs! Not everyone uses DTA or their like! I have a Motec M8 (ancient - yes I know) it has 4 Ign outputs but to run wasted it requires 2 outputs split to run 4 coils via an ign. amp! The Internal amp's cannot drive external coils directly so to run at all, whether wasted or sequential, a Bosch or similar ignition amp is required. It doesn't have the software sophistication to be told to internally pair 1&4 / 2&3 !