Start map for BMW S14 needed

Post maps up for others to get them going in the right direction. DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. CONFIRM VALUES!
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Re: Start map for BMW S14 needed

Post by ignitionautosport »

Injectors @ 6V while unplugged and ECU ground disconnected... I'm guessing there isn't power there at all, and 6V is a backfeed from somewhere - disconnected ECU ground is giving a false reading of 12V as there isn't an earth path for whatever it is anymore.
I rarely use a voltmeter for testing power supplies, a bulb type (not LED) test light won't lie to you; I'm going to guess that the 6V would disappear if a load like a test light was put on it, and that you don't actually have a 12V supply there.

This is all just an educated guess based on the above info of course.
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
lofstrom
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Post by lofstrom »

Rob Stevens wrote:Are you sure you are not powering the injectors through the coil of the main relay somehow? Did you install the relay/ is there one?

Can you verify that your wiring is anything like the DTA drawing and that you are not using some ballast resistor?
Not sure of anything at this point :?

I'm not that good at reading wiring diagrams, but I'm using a wiring loom from ST Motorsport which is seen on the attached images. It has the following connections:

B SUP: Connected to the 12v point behind coolant expansion tank in engine bay
IGN: For testing purposes connected to 12v at battery
GROUND: Connected to ground point on engine, close to coolant expansion tank
4x Injectors
Coil
TPS
Coolant temp
Inlet air temp
Crank
Interface 1: Only CF supply and FP supply used
Interface 2: Not used yet
The 3 relays/fuses are marked CF, IGN and FP
Attachments
2016-10-29 19.13.18.jpg
20160209_143436_resized.jpg
lofstrom

Post by lofstrom »

Rob Stevens wrote:'I also tested the wiring loom with the use of the continuity function on my multimeter. I tested continuity between pin 8/9 on the ECU connector and the four injector connectors. I found out that I got signal between pin 8 and both pins in each of the four connectors. Same for pin 9. Isn't that strange?'

You said this before, has that changed? Were the injectors in then? Was the ecu connector in?
The above statement doesn't match your latest test, you suggest that say pin 8 is connected to all 8 injector connectors.
In both cases the injectors and ECU were disconneted. The difference is that in the last measurement I disconnected all other connectors (TPS, crank, IAT, Coolant Temp, coil). Don't know if it explains the behaviour but that's how it was done.
lofstrom

Post by lofstrom »

ignitionautosport wrote:Injectors @ 6V while unplugged and ECU ground disconnected... I'm guessing there isn't power there at all, and 6V is a backfeed from somewhere - disconnected ECU ground is giving a false reading of 12V as there isn't an earth path for whatever it is anymore.
I rarely use a voltmeter for testing power supplies, a bulb type (not LED) test light won't lie to you; I'm going to guess that the 6V would disappear if a load like a test light was put on it, and that you don't actually have a 12V supply there.

This is all just an educated guess based on the above info of course.
Thanks for your input. I've made some tests and established a few things.

1. I got the 6/12v readings using the engine as ground (not between the 2 pins on each injector connector)

2. I have established that it's not the same pin on all 4 injector connectors which is 6/12v supply. Don't know if this matter for the injectors but anyway.

3. I don't own a proper test light unfortunately. However I did find a 12v light from a boat in the garage so I used this instead.

4. When I connect this boat lantern to the 12v pin of one of the injector connectors and to engine ground (or battery neg) , I get nothing (ECU ground connected to battery neg).

5. Then I disconnected ECU ground and tested same thing again with light connected to engine ground (or battery neg). Now I get light AND the fuel pump relay starts and runs a few seconds as it usually does when you turn ignition on.

Please hint what this tells you or what I can test more.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Does your wiring diagram include a proper schematic that you can post up ? This would make it easier to tell you where to look and what to test.

There are 3 relays...can you confirm what these do ? ( it is obvious...but want to know what the loom supplier states )

Not understanding your last test either.

The power ground....ie ECU ground will be an integral part of the loom. If you are trying to test things live as installed, this must be connected as is probably also used for main relay etc.
How many earthing points are supplied with this loom ?

I would be very cautious about testing across pins with a normal test lamp, just depends how much current this might draw.
A cheap LED or small bulb should be ok though on most DTA outputs though.

And going back to start.

1. Do you have reliable communication with the ecu at all times, including when cranking ?

2. Do you have 12v at the live injector wire ( and coils, and any other item that requires 12v ) with ecu ON, but engine off ? Test between inj live and battery ground

3. Do you have this same live during cranking ? again test between inj live and battery ground

4. Do the same for the coil power supply.
sterlingM
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Post by sterlingM »

I'm about to start the install of a S60pro on my s14 and I found this thread. Earlier in this thread there is a list of sensors required and I had seen the crankshaft sensor listed but not a camshaft sensor. Is a cam sensor required for this install? I have collected a coil on plug, proper throttle position switch, crank sensor and the cam sensor was last on my list.

Can someone confirm that both crank and cam sensor are required?

Thanks
SterlingM
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

You only need the cam sensor if you plan on running sequential injection/ignition.
The ECU can run the coils and injectors on individual outputs without a cam sensor.
sterlingM

Post by sterlingM »

Thanks Alex -- I am converting to coil on plug, so cam sensor is required. I appreciate the response!
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

sterlingM wrote:Thanks Alex -- I am converting to coil on plug, so cam sensor is required. I appreciate the response!
As Alex said, cam sensor is not needed for COP

You can still do it easily with crank trigger only in twin spark mode.

Cam sensor is needed for full sequential COP and/or injection though
katana
Firmware Version: 29

Post by katana »

sterlingM wrote:Thanks Alex -- I am converting to coil on plug, so cam sensor is required. I appreciate the response!
Nope - wasted spark is Crank trigger only! Pair 1&4 to ignition output #1 and pair 2&3 to ignition output #2, although maybe best to run them via an ignition amplifier as parallel connection lowers the COP o/all resistance so drawing hi amps.