BMW E21 - M52/2.8

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
e21-mark
ECU Model: No ECU

BMW E21 - M52/2.8

Post by e21-mark »

Hi, I am about to start Building an e21 BMW 316 that will be running an m52/2.8 six cylinder engine. I will be doing the usual m50 inlet manifold swap combined with 6 branch exhaust and free flow system. In the past, combined with a re-map of the OE ecu, I have seen a reliable 220bhp. This time though, I really hope to lose the OE wiring and ECU and it was suggested that I look at going with a DTA system. I know absolutely nothing about standalone systems though, which is why I figured it best to ask some advice from you guys.

As well as the usual bolt-on mods I will be running a Ny-trex triple threat nitrous system and a 75bhp jet. I won't be running nitrous constantly though obviously.

I have been looking at the DTA S60 as I understand it can cope with VANOS but, considering the limited engine mods, is standalone really going to benefit me? Are there better routes I could take given my limited budget?

Excuse my ignorance here, but I also have a Dastek Unichip piggy-back ECU that was taken from another m52 engine. This was totally stock and made a proven 193bhp. Would it be viable to have the Dastek re mapped for the m50 inlet swap and 6 branch, or do they not work that way ?

Any help and/or advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Here's the old car, before it was destroyed by fire last year.

Sadly this happened last year.

Jon K
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Distributor: DTA UK
Firmware Version: 73

Re: BMW E21 - M52/2.8

Post by Jon K »

I love E21s! I run an M50/52 hybrid on a DTA S80 with 685 RWHP as the last dyno pull.

What happened w/ the fire?
1992 700RWHP Pump Gas BMW
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The Dastek should be able to be remapped, but you'd really need to speak to a Dastek dealer about what it can and cant do, and at what cost.
Piggyback setups do have their limitations though.

As for budget....what is your budget ?

With any ecu you'll need to factor in installation costs and tuning. That may be a patch harness or full wiring loom. Plus whatever time is taken for setting up and mapping
But it should give you the flexibility to do whatever is needed in the future without any expensive changes.
I would be inclined to go for the S80Pro, although it may not be strictly necessary. Just more future proofing really.
ardler_dan

Post by ardler_dan »

really horrible to see such a bad fire - what happened?!

I'd go for a standalone any day, but never buy the cheapest way into it - you'll regret it later down the line. A S60 is all you'll need and will future proof you with loads of features. You could do it cheaper but there will be a compromise somewhere.

Dan
e21-mark

Post by e21-mark »

Hi guys, apologies for the delayed response but it's been a long year, with regard to by build. In fact, it's been so long I had forgotten about this thread and so I just started another, which I'll remove shortly.

Anyway, the old car went up in flames due to awful wiring by a previous owner. The new car has never been modified in any way though, so has proven to be an ideal base for modification.

I've stuck with the M52 engine, as they're cheap and relatively easy to find. I could have gone with an s50 / s54 but I figured the bills would be smaller if I blew the engine in the future. In an effort to release more power though, I have installed CAT 'fast road' camshafts, Jenvey ITB's and a 4.5 kg alloy flywheel. I would really like to delete the MAF and air box, so that I can run velocity stacks too. I would really like to get in the region of 260 - 270 bhp, but I don't know how likely that is?

Anyway, after a chat with DTA, I have gone with Dan's suggestion of the S60 Pro. It should actually arrive today, so I need to look at having a loom made. I really just wondered if there is anything I should know, or any pit falls to avoid?

I'll post a few photos to prove I haven't been sat idle for the past year too! :)

The new car is in wonderful, rust free condition.

The old car was stripped for the parts I needed.

and so it begins...

Laguna Seca blue paint and new M52 in place.

Many mods, including E12 LSD conversion and a complete redesign and replacement of the braking system. Includes billet 4 pots and 300mm discs.

Full build thread here > http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... mid=183590
Simon P.
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by Simon P. »

Wow, great to see your project back on line!
That was a nasty fire... :o
I run AlphaN (TPS vs RPM) on my S54 and it works very well. No more MAF errors, easier to map, great throttle response, just an all around great solution IMHO. Any good tuner (or even yourself if you've got the skills/time) can convert your car to run this way. And if you're going the ITB way going AlphaN is a tried a true tuning method that works well with ITBs.
Keep us posted on your project !
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Nice work, and cool car !
e21-mark

Post by e21-mark »

Thanks guys.

How hard is it to put a loom together? Any advice would be a big help please.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

Engine loom, or full car loom ?

Making an engine loom isnt difficult. However...making a nice tidy engine loom is more difficult.

Making a proper loom...well it requires patience and the right crimp tools etc. Plus access to suitable wire, and always label everything !!

You need to draw out exactly what you want, what devices you will need, connectors, wire lengths and routes, plan any joins, heat shrink, sleeving etc etc

Easiest option...just have one made.

Or whilst Ive never bought one myself...VEMS sell some pre made looms for their ecu's for quite reasonable money.
You'd need to re-work them a little and fit DTA connectors. But I'd think for the most part they should be usable.

https://shop.vems.hu/catalog/universal- ... f54eb13a4d

Or the likes of Martin at mefmotorsport can make you a custom loom. He's done a few BMW's, so might be quite easy for him to sort something for you.
e21-mark

Post by e21-mark »

Many thanks Stevie. I've mailed Mef and asked if they'll put a custom loom together for me? I don't have the skills to do a quality job and I don't want to start cutting corners now.