O/T twin cam classic mini

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
paulw

O/T twin cam classic mini

Post by paulw »

Apologies as its not DTA controlled but its got me baffled. here is a little video of the almost finished car.
[youtube][/youtube]

The car is running standard internals and using the Suzuki swift ECU.

The engines static timing is 6deg BTDC all's well with that. Engine will not rev past 5500rpm (these engines rev till 7500rpm) When you give it some throttle the engine's ignition timing retards instead of advances :?

You can advance the static timing to 10deg, 15deg BTDC engine will rev further but obviously its not happy and i don't want to run into it pinking.

Has anyone seen this before? like i said its got me baffled.

Paul

Edit: how do i embed video on this site?
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Re: O/T twin cam classic mini

Post by ignitionautosport »

no idea why but I've found the same with youtube links.

It sounds really retarded off idle (which it is if it's 6 degrees) running 10 or 15 degrees "should" be fine, but I'd rather you not lunch something lol.

If I had to guess I'd say reluctor wired around the wrong way, something like that. An ideal time to put an S40 on it maybe :D
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
paulw

Post by paulw »

6deg is manufacturer standard i'll stick to that till i know whats causeing the problem ;)

We thought that the VR sensor in the dizzy was wired up the wrong way round too. I don't know the effect of swapping the wires round to see though. I'm going to pull some of the insulation back on the loom and try and see if any of the sensor grounds are wrong.

I can't afford another ECU although it would be nice :D

Paul
ignitionautosport wrote:no idea why but I've found the same with youtube links.

It sounds really retarded off idle (which it is if it's 6 degrees) running 10 or 15 degrees "should" be fine, but I'd rather you not lunch something lol.

If I had to guess I'd say reluctor wired around the wrong way, something like that. An ideal time to put an S40 on it maybe :D
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Is this a new install that has never run correctly, or just a new problem ?

Is it wired exactly as per original ?

At various rpm's, does ignition timing follow a sensible pattern at 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k etc etc when verified with a timing light ?

Is the rev limit problem exactly the same every time ? Is it just when stationary, or when moving ?

Does the ecu have any limp home feature that could cause it ? Some ecu's throw a wobbler if they have no vehicle speed input, do you have one ?
There is a dizzy...but some ecu's have a little test connector you must short out before you are allowed to make any timing adjustments ?
paulw

Post by paulw »

stevieturbo wrote:Is this a new install that has never run correctly, or just a new problem ?

Is it wired exactly as per original ?

At various rpm's, does ignition timing follow a sensible pattern at 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k etc etc when verified with a timing light ?

Is the rev limit problem exactly the same every time ? Is it just when stationary, or when moving ?

Does the ecu have any limp home feature that could cause it ? Some ecu's throw a wobbler if they have no vehicle speed input, do you have one ?
There is a dizzy...but some ecu's have a little test connector you must short out before you are allowed to make any timing adjustments ?
This is a new install.

wiring loom is a shortened and modded Suzuki Swift from the doner vehicle.

Ignition timing does not follow and sensible pattern. Although i have to say that i have checked static timing with strobe in reference with the timing marks on the cam cover. I haven't actually dialed in to check. I'll do this tomorrow.

It is the same when stationary and under load

The ECU does have a limp home mode but I've tried a spare one from a mate and its exactly the same. It wouldn't rev as far as it does in limp home either. I'm not running the vehicle speed sensor as I'm not running the swift dash. I'm not re-inventing the wheel doing this conversion as its been done a few times and VSS wasn't used. Although it did cross my mind.

Now the last one is a big **** up on my part as i removed the diagnostic plug where you are supposed to ground 2 pins so as to lock the timing. You are then supposed to move the dizzy to show 6 deg and that's it set. i have tried to re-install it today but it hasn't been a great success.

Paul