Datalogging with an S40 and Innovate gear

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
shambly
ECU Model: S40 Pro

Datalogging with an S40 and Innovate gear

Post by shambly »

Hi,

I'm usually a lurker here (and in the old forum) having a Chesil Speedster running DTA fuel injection on its 2270cc Type 4 engine and currently building another very similar engine for my 1964 VW campervan.

Using an S40 without data logging and having Innovate equipment (LC-1 wideband, plus TC-4 quad thermocouple, and a DL-32 datalogger) in the Chesil, it made sense to me to link to two together. I did this several years ago via an adaptor box I designed and so can datalog the S40 on the DL-32. (You could also use logworks on a laptop).

More information here:-
http://www.chesiloutlaw.com/tech_innovate.htm

Anyway, the main reason for the post is that I will shortly be building another adaptor to use in my camper van and am wondering if such a thing is of interest to anyone else using DTA? If so i'll design a proper printed circuit board rather than building it with veroboard again.... so other people could easily build one.

As well as datalogging it could also be useful to drive a dash display that is compatible with the Innovate serial format - Indeed making a small multi-function dash display is another project for the camper as I don't have room for all the separate gauges I would want. But that should probably be another thread!

Simon
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Re: Datalogging with an S40 and Innovate gear

Post by stevieturbo »

I can sort of see the appeal, logging is always a good thing. Although the S60 upwards logging is pretty good. More channels, especially EGT's and more lambdas would be nice

Although Ive never used Innovate to log, so never really used their software ( tried briefly, didnt like it )

Recently I found this.

http://www.ecudatascan.com/home.html

I think it logs, and can maybe interface with others ? And also offer a small display too for important info
xworks

Post by xworks »

I've nothing to add in the form of help or advice on your
question, but, just wanted to say thanks for posting the
details of your DTA install up on your site. Helped a lot
when I was trying to figure out mine.
69alfa
ECU Model: S60 Pro
Firmware Version: 61

Post by 69alfa »

Hi Simon ,

Wow great projects and you have a wonderful web site . I love your Configurator!
http://www.chesiloutlaw.com/configurator/

I am doing a tech talk at the Alfa Romeo convention in Toronto in June on DIY fuel injection . I am going to add your web page to the hand out of web pages/ supplier list .

I was looking at Arduino products that I could built to get a display for my DTA but now I think I will get one of the 4D units.

I am using an LC-1 and the DTA S60. Can the 4D units be connected so they can control the DTA or is it only possible to display ?

It is very nice to be able to make changes to the DTA on the go but driving around with a laptop is a pain.

Here is a link to what I did to convert to Fuel Injection .
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine- ... odies.html

Keep up the great work

Dave Munro
shambly

Post by shambly »

Thanks for the kind words guys

>>I was looking at Arduino products that I could built to get a display for my DTA but now
>> I think I will get one of the 4D units.

Yes, I was going to code up a PIC to write to a standard serial display but the 4D units made it much less work. They have a library of graphics, file i/o, and serial functions amongst others and the new 4d-visi software will render nice analogue gauges (as a sequence of images for an sd card that you can then simply call up by value)

>>I am using an LC-1 and the DTA S60. Can the 4D units be connected so they can
>> control the DTA or is it only possible to display ?

I'm sure it is possible (DTA software will talk to ECU over serial or CANbus) but the protocol is not public. I presume Marco reverse engineered it for his display.
My main goal is to display oil temp / pressure / AFR / CHT / EGT (CHT/EGT from a TC-4) on a single display to avoid adding lots of gauges to my dash....

Simon
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

You could maybe speak to Tim, creator of this ( assuming you are in the UK )

http://www.jti.uk.com/

Originally it was created for Syvecs, but he's now workin on Motec, and I'm sure he may offer some assistance with DTA, although it would be a much smaller market for him I think