fiat x1/9 hill climb project

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
dannyboy
ECU Model: S40 Pro

fiat x1/9 hill climb project

Post by dannyboy »

came across an unloved old track car whilst searching panels for the fiat drag car after crash .the drag car has gone to a new owner now and i thought id use the money to build a track car .decided on a bmw mini cooper s motor and box to get started and see if its for me :?:
Attachments
47400422_365141507365328_7806902096195747840_n.jpg
Rob Stevens
ECU Model: S100 Pro
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Re: fiat x1/9 hill climb project

Post by Rob Stevens »

I assume you are in the uk? if so by undertaking an engine change like this will make the car need to comply with 'Sports Libra' category for hill climb and sprints. Principally cage, 6 point belts, hands device and a few other bits and bobs. You will end up in a class where you are wholly uncompetitive, unless the club you run at basically excludes the faster cars but the safety stuff remains.
Sorry if that sounds negative just giving you the heads up.
I am aware however that Javelin run a sprint series where this car would be very welcome.
Alex DTA
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

I've read that as it's a track car, Rob, so no regs to worry about.
Rob Stevens
Distributor: None-Coil On Plug :)

Post by Rob Stevens »

Yeh but chap says ' Hill Climb' in the title so fair to assume that is what he wants to do with it. Just trying to help prevent people making cars and then not being able to use them where they wanted to and becoming disillusioned with that branch of competition. Car looks like RHD so likely to be UK based.
Alex DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Good point, I missed that.
Danny is indeed UK based, so that may be relevant.
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

hi all cheers for input .the plan is to use it on tracks try out hill climbing .im not worried about competion racing would like to have the odd go up prescot hill climb .do they not do the odd run what you brung?
the car has a cds 6 point cage fully welded in and full harnesses i have eno issues making it fully legal as if you have seen my other fiat post you will know that safety is high on my list of importance so the libra thing sounds fine to me :P
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

and not worried about winning anything just giving it beans will be plenty for me ... :lol:
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

Part of the issue now with any MSA based stuff....is in Sports Libre you now need a Cat A license, which means you need to have taken apart in an irrelevant piece of shit for something like 6 events because the MSA have some notion this proves you are able to pay them more to better drive your own car.

So all the build/safety aspects aside, that is another means to prevent people using their cars after an engine swap.

Although if the car is road legal, and raced in road legal form, then a normal Non Race Nat B license will apply so it's easier to take part in such a car.
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

hi thanks for this info i had no idea ,the car will be road legal if that helps but if its that much hassle ill just use it on track days as i don't want to keep a poxy 1500 na motor in it :P
SMR

Post by SMR »

Danny, if you want to hillclimb it, just ensure it meets the sports libre safety rules (as mentioned by others already) - and as StevieT says, so long as it is run in a fully road-legal condition (and taxed, MOt'd insured etc) then you can run with a Nat B license to get the signatures required to upgrade to a Nat A license. By the way, if the cc's multiplied by 1.4 takes it over 2 litres, you'll also need some further signatures for a Nat A (Open) license.