hello...

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
nikfruit
ECU Model: S80 Pro
Firmware Version: 71

hello...

Post by nikfruit »

Hello,nice to find you here.....
i am " hobbyist tuner" and i'm working on 2 projects, the first is a mk2 12v vr6 turbo SPECS:(T04Z GARRET,850cc-siemens- inj,msd coil per plug,cam sensor)and the second is,mk2!!
with 1,8 20vt.630cc deka turbonetics for 400hp standard coil per plug,cam sensor.
I manage them with s80 v.61 firmware.
nikfruit

Re: hello...

Post by nikfruit »

...i have just finished my second project,i have upgraded the firmware with the latest,the system works on closed loop with lc-1,also using timing retard with knock alert on ana1,egt with analogue output connected on ana3 using the compensations adjusting fuel and advance,map2 active for nos using with racing fuel,dashdaq display connected on canbus,and finally conclude traction control.I will inform you soon...
My timing results with " vbox"running on 1,4bar with 100ron fuel 9,6:1 cr is
18m 2,2" 52klm
200m 8,6"
0-402m 13" 192klm
0-100klm 5,4"
0-1000m 232klm
my project can work on 2,3bar with racing fuel and nos
initially mapped by ART ELECTRONICS with out lambda controller, egt,and knock alert,
and finished by me.
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I think using the analogue inputs to retard timing based on an external knock detection device would be too slow to be functional.

I tried this for a while myself and just gave up. A lot of the time the DTA didnt record any knock, as well as the external device either missing, or recording false knock.

But it can still be handy purely for logging as it might detect some stuff.

Sounds like you're making good use of the ecu though !
nikfruit

Post by nikfruit »

why would be to slow,i have opposite opinion.
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

The analogue channels are relatively slow. Any timing retard will be happening long after the knock event has already happened.

it may not seem a long time in human terms, but in engine and computer terms it is a long time

Although I may be wrong....I wonder what the sampling rate of the analogue channels actually is ?

I tried using them before for knock detection with the Phormula a few years ago. The ecu didnt even detect the knock occuring. At least it certainly wasnt evident on any logging which is only 10Hz which in terms of knock detection, is far far far too slow. And there was no evidence it was pulling timing either.
Even 100Hz would still be too slow IMO
nikfruit

Post by nikfruit »

The outputs of the device that i am using have knock intensity and counter updated at 1000hz.
the most important is that the timing retard is working with default delay so the current advance will return after default delay ms.
gnutz2
ECU Model: S100 Pro

Post by gnutz2 »

stevieturbo wrote:I think using the analogue inputs to retard timing based on an external knock detection device would be too slow to be functional.

I tried this for a while myself and just gave up. A lot of the time the DTA didnt record any knock, as well as the external device either missing, or recording false knock.

But it can still be handy purely for logging as it might detect some stuff.

Sounds like you're making good use of the ecu though !
Hi Steve :)

Im curious about your attempts with the phormula KS-4.

I currently have the KS-4 0-5v output fed to ana1 and I use it for logging, it can prove a very good tool and lets you know when things are getting out of hand, which can stop an over enthusiastic tuning project turning into a melted set of pistons.

More recently I've been trying out a very basic form of closed loop control by linking ana1 into ana2 via a 5v reference and a timer relay.

When ana1 (KS-4 0-5v) is above the threshold I believe to be knock aux1 is switched. Aux1 turns on a timer relay which in turn sends 5v directly into ana2, the length of time ana2 sees 5v can be adjusted via a pot. What you do when ana2 is high is up to you but at the moment I have 15% of timing retard, you could use aux2 output to lower the boost maybe.

Ive been thinking how it would be possible to use the full 100hz sampling rate of the ks-4 but unless dta can somehow log that I'd have to go to an external device.

Cheers Baz
stevieturbo

Post by stevieturbo »

DTA does offer a logging rate of 100hz, although only for a handful of channels, so you could maybe try and see how it copes.

I had just input into an analogue channel, and when a particular 0-5v threshold was met, it would retard timing and add a little fuel.

However, on my own engine, I never actually had any luck with the KS-4 registering anything useful with my DTA, despite me actually hearing detonation.

Whether there was just too much background noise, or whether it needed faster logging, whatever. I just have up and forgot about trying to make anything from it.