Drive Dundee Formula Student Car

Document your project with images, pictures, etc., and share with others.
DriveTeamDundee
ECU Model: S60 Pro

Re: Drive Dundee Formula Student Car

Post by DriveTeamDundee »

Won't take much to get the narrow heater wired in so well get that done, like I say if we could get a wideband we would, but for now it's not possible.

The flange was badly warped, had an engineers square up against it. Have beaten the flanges flat and have a cork gasket to go on along with some sealant when we bolt it down as well.

I've been given the parts and I just have to make it work, for now won't be able to change the throttle bodies etc, but for the next car will definitely keep that in mind.

Cheers
ignitionautosport
ECU Model: S80 Pro

Post by ignitionautosport »

Cool, keep us posted :)
| '94 GSR Lancer | '96 Toyota Carib 20V | '83 Toyota Starlet | www.ignitionautosport.co.nz |
moy
Firmware Version: 63

Post by moy »

As others have mentioned it seems to be an intake leak somewhere. You have to fix that before any more tuning can happen.

The restrictor itself won't cause it to run poorly. Once everything is closer to being tuned it should start and idle well. We've been running S80s and now S100s on our f4is for a few years and they idle very nicely.

It looks like you're running the AT Power throttle body. From what we hear that is a nice unit...we were thinking or using one as well because it would be one less thing to make...

Keep us posted on your progress.

-MB
SJSU
stevieturbo
ECU Model: No ECU

Post by stevieturbo »

I wonder could you accidentally build in air leaks, but still manage to pull idle down with timing etc....LOL

It'd let more air in than that little throttle blade.
moy
Firmware Version: 63

Post by moy »

Not without violating the rules. It says something like "all air must pass through the restrictor..."

Of course the next question is how would they know if there is a vacuum leak that some sneaky person(s) neglected to fix and managed to tune around. I guess at that point every team has to weight that risk out. No one wants to be the team caught cheating like that.

What competition(s) is this car going to Dundee?
DriveTeamDundee

moy wrote:Not without violating the rules. It says something like "all air must pass through the restrictor..."

Of course the next question is how would they know if there is a vacuum leak that some sneaky person(s) neglected to fix and managed to tune around. I guess at that point every team has to weight that risk out. No one wants to be the team caught cheating like that.

What competition(s) is this car going to Dundee?
Formula Student 2016 at Silverstone! basically unis come from all round the world and race together. Dundee used to do very well.. Things haven't gone so well past few years. Mainly due to team members, and their commitment..

Anyway! a little update:

Vacuum leak was solved! Our intake manifold was crazy warped from the welding, the lad who designed it had no idea that aluminium and a lot of heat cause warping, so used a way too thin material. Anyway so I beat the manifold as flat as I could, used a 2mm cork gasket and gasket sealant. Worked fine! Engine was running good, idling fine, installed a wideband. Reading was good, not dangerously lean, more on the rich side (richest = 10.5 and lean = 13.2 were the highest values I see).

However, once the engine was running right (as that is my part, engine/electric) I left for summer to work. I came back after a few weeks and it's all back to square one.

The car doesn't even come close to starting. The other members only tidied up the body/install brake lines etc and in the process some wiring may have become damaged, one member wiring the fuel pump backwards.

I also have a resit exam i'm studying for, and work 6 day a week so only managed to come into uni 1 evening, and I can't work out what it is. Something to do with fuel, as wideband reads in the 14/15s only, and doesn't fluctuate much so it seems like there is hardly any fuel going in or coming out.

I've tested injectors, all receive a signal voltage and supply voltage changes when the engine is attempted to run.

The fuel pump puts out the same pressure it is set to on the FPR so I don't think it getting wired backwards harmed it(i still can't believe he managed to, with the ground being black and live being yellow..)

It doesn't even cough or stutter, almost as there is either no fuel or no spark.

Cam/Crank wire signal graph is the exact same as before, the map hasn't changed at all and the battery is always charged. I have to work back through all the plug connections to make sure nothing has come lose, but we leave on 13th of July and i'm not free till 10th to dedicate actual time on it. A few all-nighters might be enough tho.

Anyway, cheers for everyones help so far! every comment did help sort the problem and DID get the engine running. It ran on every 2/3rd crank it was awesome, very smooth and sounded pretty healthy.
Last edited by DriveTeamDundee on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex DTA
ECU Model: S40 Pro
Distributor: DTA
Firmware Version: 79

Post by Alex DTA »

Back to basics.

1. Does it synchronise?
If yes, go to 2. If not, work out why.

2. Do you get fuel and spark on cranking?
DriveTeamDundee

Yeah! I've been double checking on DTAswin for that, comparing the cam/crank signal graphs and making sure the map you sent me is the exact same as one on the ECU.

Fuel, pump is flowing, as tested to see if the pump was actually moving fuel we disconnected the return and got it to flow into a bucket. The set FP of 42 is always showing on the FPR. The injectors have been tested, the resistance being the exact same on each one (Denso injectors, 12.2 ohm). Signal to injector of 0.3 volts when engine cranking on each injector, and 12V supply to them and dropping to 10.5V when cranking.

So I don't believe and injector is causing the problem. We've also put new fuel in it, drained the tank etc.

Spark i'm away to test! Check resistance of the coil pack, check wires running to coil packs and get the plugs out.
DriveTeamDundee

Forgot to mention, wideband gives a reading of 10.17 constant, it won't change at all when the engine is cranking and trying to start.. All fuses checked etc, and connections in both plugs.
DriveTeamDundee

Car running!

Fuel tank taken out, injectors taken out. Fuel tank had small bits of metal, built an injector test rig and 1 injector didn't spray at all.. The pattern of the rest was awful.

So they were ultrasonic cleaned, new fuel and new filters and started right up.

Car is almost done, we drive down Wednesday morning. Will keep photos up of the team etc! For now heres what its looking like right now.